Glow worm boiler leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 2 and half year old glow worm 30ci plus which has recently started leaking somewhere at the rear of the boiler. Has anyone any idea what would be at fault? I've had a man come out and his verdict was £300 labour and £200 for the part. any suggestions would be welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Don't know glow worms too well, but I think its usual for a connection on the condensing pipe work to leak on these at the back.

get a 2nd opinion

I've got a 2 and half year old glow worm 30ci plus which has recently started leaking somewhere at the rear of the boiler. Has anyone any idea what would be at fault? I've had a man come out and his verdict was £300 labour and £200 for the part. any suggestions would be welcomed.

If you call someone who comes out free then you will end up with stupid prices likel that.

We never go anywhere free and always charge a diagnostic fee and list price or less for the part.

Its difficult to imagine any part on the boiler costing as much as £200. What did he say it is?

Tony

Its usually the big rubber seal on the condensate collector behind the heat exchanger. Labour could be about right if no isolators are fitted on the flow and return, otherwise I would say around 2 - 3 hours labour plus 60 odd quid for parts including new seal kit for the burner. (got a spare one here if in mids!)

Sponsored Links
Check the flue at the elbow, (on top of boiler), will more than likely be a torn or missaligned seal. ;)

Happens alot when flue`S are shortened.

thanks for the replies guys, regarding the guy who looked at it he reckoned it was a "pressure vessel" fault what ever that means.

This is a another horrible Band D boiler from Glowworm with very little room for maintainance. :)

He may be refering to the expansion vessel. If the original vessel is being replaced the boiler will probably have to come off the wall (maybe 2 man lift).

However most would just isolate the leaking vessel and install an additional vessel either under the boiler (in a cupboard?) or even a rectangular vessel on top of neighbouring units. This can often be connected to the original vessel hosing.

Parts around £30.00, labour normally an hour.

Could be the dhw tank leaking, boiler off the wall for repair if it is. Apart from that the boiler is easy to work on no more trouble than the major brands. Probably covered on glowworms fixed price parts and labour .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back