Glow worm boiler with smart centre - complex problems.

You really do talk *******s, yes my mechanic cant fix my car at a reasonable price, because his computer wont talk to "my" car, so I am tied to the main dealers outrageous prices, ah yes though they brought a law in so the makers have to allow other garages access to their software, well guess how much they want to sell it, about the price of a fekkin housing estate, guess who pays, answers on a stamp.

Toyota, some muppet thought it was a good idea to put windows 90jive in between the brake pedal and the brake wheel cylinder, human presses brake pedal, windows goes ooer dll error missing colonel bogey and crash, toyota's
shares crying all the way the bank, Nissan's software, or should I say Renault.

As far as the "younger" generation go, they only "think" they need all this crap because they have been brainwashed into it, you only have to listen to the inane conversation, yea but no but yea but no but she said he said while they walk into traffic while on their "oh so necessary" mobiles.

I fitted a really complicated Honeywell progstat years ago for a new nursery, it would do practically everything a zillion times a day, took about a day of reading the instructions to get to grips with it, I asked the lady what she wanted it setting up to, "oh twice day thanks" FFS

You cant make software fool proof as it's written by fools.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools Ro. 1.22

And while were on it, while your writing your "foolproof" software to wipe everyones arse, some spotty autistic adolescent schoolboy is writing a virus that will screw up your wonderful "foolproof" software and cost people a lot of time money and stress and a "non working" appliance, I will stick to Y plans and such thanks, as they tend to be more reliable and you don't need Professor Hawkins to come along in his wheelchair plug his sparky speech generator into your Honeywell Tardis Star trek programmer to get, oooohh magical hot water and heating.

Sponsored Links
PVM, you do make some valid points, in your "PendanticVindictive" way! :) Yes, there are/will be challenges as both consumers and 'professionals' adapt to technology and the benefits it can bring, as highlighted in this thread! - As a great RGI, I assume you educated the Nursery on the effeciency benefits of using the Honeywell stat differently?? ;)

I agree that many consumers don't know what they want, I once commisioned a small usability study on some cutting edge tech and concepts, asked before they saw it and none of them wanted it. Once demonstrated, 99% of the people wanted it and many asked if they could purchase the tech from us that day!

Like many industries before, the old die hard engineers are often reluctant to change, if you Google "Change Curve" you'll see the 'journey' many RGI's will travel as technology takes over your industry.

Hey! Guess what, I have a similar fault on my similar system...

Ultracom 18Hxi
Smart Wiring Centre
Climapro RF

When installed (last Nov), the system initally would not provide DHW...even though the 'stat was turned up and the Climapro was set to DHW "on".

Glowworm engineer turned up, claimed to know nothing about the smart wiring centre but, folowing a call to the office, pronounced the installation instructions wrong and that the 230v supply should be on the same circuit as the boiler...Fault was "solved" by turning off then on the circuits on the consumer unit...

All good until a couple of weeks ago...System starts being very noisy on DHW only and then CH stops altogether (DHW still OK)...
Checked the mid-position valve and it appears to work correctly...removing the head and setting mid position allows both to work with no control...

Glowworm engineer attended (again) and declared the mid-position valve faulty.
I replaced this over the weekend with a Honeywell V4073 and it would appear that the old BG valve was working correctly...

Now I have the original problem back, (no DHW) but no amount of power cycling seems to cure the issue...

I suspect a faulty Smart Wiring Centre, but Glowworm service aren't (at the moment) accepting that diagnosis...

Sponsored Links
I like technology where it is useful and helpful to the installer and the customer, but for some reason it all gets over the top and becomes an unnecessary expensive stressful hindrance, which this posting proves, an ordinary hard wired y plan, which after all, thats all this Glowworm Claptrap thing is, would have been installed and problems fixed pages ago.

an ordinary hard wired y plan, which after all, thats all this Glowworm Claptrap thing is, would have been installed and problems fixed pages ago.

... appart from the "Glowworm Claptrap" is a modulating room thermostat, giving better effeciency than conventional y-plan using on/off thermostats. ;) I assume the "smart wiring centre" is the 'brains' behind the modulating control, therefore requiring both the room stat (Climapro RF2 for the OP) and the 'brains' to be connected via eBUS to the boiler.

If the Climapro worked independently of the SWC, you could then still have a y-plan with just the Climapro RF sender connected directly to the boiler.

Electrician coming tonight. He said he didn't fit the link wire - must have missed it in the instructions. Surely the Glow Worm people would have checked it? maybe not - I'll update when he's opened up the boiler.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks,

Bakerbloke.

Electrician now coming Wednesday - But it seems almost certain that no one checked the existence of the link - the electrician expected the link to be in the boiler when it was delivered or at least it should have been written in the boiler instructions which he and his has gas buddy were following. I remember more about what the glow worm engineers and troubleshooters got confused about - they thought that s.30 was a combi code and that my boiler had an identity problem. Also all the status codes were read out to the factory but no one mentioned the link.

To answer an earlier post - d8 is always zero even when heating is scheduled to be on.

Again thanks for all your help and suggestions. Been an expensive exercise - I'm now going to have to deal with an unnecessary rewiring bill that I had not budgeted for. Anyway, if this boiler lasts the 22 years that my old boiler did then i'll be really happy.

22 years, :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: falls on floor laffing ass off, if it runs for 22 months without a problem think yourself lucky........

I would be billing Glowworm for the "Unnecessary wiring".

I would be billing Glowworm for the "Unnecessary wiring".

If it turns out to be the link cable, GW would have sent incompetent engineers who completely misdiagnosed the fault with THEIR product, causing you unnecessary expense. I would agree with PVM & request compensation in the form of either a cash payment or a "free" 5-year extended warranty with 3-Star cover for their product(s) depending on the re-wiring costs! ;)

this may come back and bite me but I still dont think its anything to do with a link wire, s 30 means no heat demand if the stat isint working properly this is what you will get, what I dont understand is the the room stat (normally) sends a signal to the reciever which then I assume sends it to the smart centre, the swc isint recieving a signal to open the valve for ch , the swc should open the valve if the link is in place or not.

this may come back and bite me but I still dont think its anything to do with a link wire, s 30 means no heat demand if the stat isint working properly this is what you will get, what I dont understand is the the room stat (normally) sends a signal to the reciever which then I assume sends it to the smart centre, the swc isint recieving a signal to open the valve for ch , the swc should open the valve if the link is in place or not.

Hi picasso, on this system the room stat (which is the climapro) does send a signal to the receiver but the receiver is processed by the boiler pcb which then passes on the information to the smart centre,Its only "smart" because it understands what the boiler tells it what to do and in this case the boiler isn't telling it to apply voltage to the white because its in state s30 so it "thinks" there is no external demand
I dont know if you have worked much with BMS systems but if so think of the boiler as the PLC and the climapro and the smartcentre as modules

Matt

you need to use the cylinder sensor. said it before, will prob have to say it again before it sinks in

you need to use the cylinder sensor. said it before, will prob have to say it again before it sinks in

I assume you missed my reply!? [Quoted again below ;)]

UpgradeME said:
With regards to the "cylinder sensor", if you are referring to a similar NTC as the VR10 supplied with the Vaillant VR65, that's not supplied with the Smart Wiring Center, the wiring diagram also shows the NTC connection as "do not use" so doesn't look like NTC's are 'supported' by Glowworm.

Most eBus problems I've seen are sparkies using cores in original cabling (old 3 core/earth etc), and running pump lives etc in the same cable, OR ebus cables running along side 240v cables. eBus does not like induced voltage from adjacent 240v wires. Causes no end of strange 'faults'...

Just a thought ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back