Glow worm boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. As a joiner, a customer has asked me to extend his garage forward by appx 3m using existing side walls (next doors garage and his house) and fly a new roof out the same amount. The existing boiler vents to atmosphere in the area which will become the new garage and trying to find a suitable flue extension is proving nigh impossible. The boiler is circa 1991 and is a Glow-worm KFB 50 with standard rear exit flue. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who can supply new-old-stock parts (a 87 or 90 degree elbow, 1000mm flue and something for the top where it exits the roof sheathing) Alternatively, do any of you clued-up pro's know about compatability with other balanced flue extensions - maybe later model stuff with the same 100mm (or so) dia thet can be utilised? or maybe a generic offering? Glow worm technical cant even pull up a parts list or drawings for this boiler anymore :rolleyes:
It appears the job hangs on this stumbling block, and work being as it is at the moment any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Great forum guys, keep up the good work. Kev

Sponsored Links
sorry mate, really dont think you'll find what your after. Never even seen a kfb with an extended flue, so they will be rare as rocking horse doodoo if even if they ever did exist? boiler will need moving or replacing

you can not extend the flue
if you put your e-mail in my profile i'v got the mi's for this boiler ill send them over the weekend
2m is the longest flue kit that was available you'll be lucky to find one now

below taken from mi's

Flue Position and
Length
Note. If a longer flue duct is required
DO NOT extend the ducting. A special
long flue system and terminal can be
supplied and MUST be used.

STD 75mmto692mm
1m 692mmto1022mm
2m 1022mm to 2022mm

Steve

Sponsored Links
Steve. Thanks for your reply. I bow to your superior knoledge in these types of thing, but as a thick chippie can't seem to get my head round why a flue cant be extended? Is it from a H&S aspect or operational performance (or both)? Glow worm originally offered a side exit flue of about 1m (kit 440095) but this is no longer available, as both yourself and mickeyg (cheers mate) have said, but did they ever offer the option to turn a corner, or generally speaking, does this type of thing ever occur when a flue has to go horizontally from the boiler through the cavity wall, turn 90 and go up through a roof and exhaust that way? harking back to my limited knowledge it appears that fresh combustion air is drawn in to the combustion chamber through the outer section and spent gasses exhausted via the centre whereby a heat exchange process takes place warming the incoming air and consequently increasing boiler efficiency. Why then can't just the exhaust section be extended (sleeved) and vented further away? Again, thanks for your help and patience. Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back