Gluing plastic freezer drawer

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
These are clear, green-tinted plastic. I was thinking acrylic (perspex), but it might possibly be polystyrene or something. On the bottom it says EP1/1 but this might be a part no. Quite an old indesit but I have similar in my AEG fridge.

What's a good glue/solvent/cement for a crack before it gets worse?

Sponsored Links
i nearly threw out my hot glue gun which ahs been sitting in my garage unused for about 6 years. I then watched a welder piece back together the tail light on my transit with his one and its as solid as a rock. Its been reprived and being used for all sorts of things. I would think the plastic is a similar type so it may well work on the freezer door thingy

repairing the crack alone may not be enough.

the stresses imparted on the drawer that caused the crack in the first place are likely to crack it again.

you need to reinforce the area by gluing a large flat piece of plastic over the crack.

i have had success with solvent weld glue and superglue in the past. super glue may end up too brittle so my vote is with the solvent weld.

glue

Sponsored Links
Polystyrene or polyproplene.
The best thing to use is get a soldering iron & melt the edges together. It is possible to make a neat job.

You could try fusing the crack together with a hot soldering iron (gently)
It often works for me.
JonB

thanks for the suggs, I have got a small-tip soldering iron, I guess run the tip down the crack to melt it and hope it flows back together.

I think I will press some aluminium foil on the back to stop it dripping or running away.

Do I need to push the melt towards the crack somehow?

BTW I think the cracks are from being dropped rather than "proper" useage

A crude but effective method is to drill a few small holes staggered each side of the crack and 'stitch' it up with garden wire or similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back