going wireless

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
firstly thanks for your advice on my previous post I am now typing with the new laptop :)

after xmas I would like to sort out all the wires that I have trailing around the house !
ive been told I can buy adaptors that will resolve the issue

ok in my hall I have 1 BT lead through the wall to the lounge that feads the cordless phone and the sky box then I have 2 BT leads (1 on either side of the stairs) that go upstairs 1 to the landing which connects desktop PC and the other to a bedroom connecting the sky box

the ideal system I would like is to have no wires and to use wireles adaptors via elctric sockets if it can be done

just to confuse things my desktop PC isnt wireless enabled and ive been told I need to buy some sort of usb adaptor for it
any advice apreciated cheers PM

Sponsored Links
When you say "bt leads" do you mean *phone line* leads, or networking cable(RJ45)?

Sounds to me like you're talking about actual phone line extension cable.

In this case, you can probably use something like you've mentioned - mains based telephone line extenders, like this one:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/dect-wireless-phone-line-extender-97658

(NOT to be confused with the 'networking' socket based systems! This one is just for phone signals.)

Depending on the age of your house (or the wiring) this should work well.

So, by using those you should be able to connect your devices that need a phone line up, without wires.

Then, you can get a wireless router (buy one, or see if your internet supplier will give you one).
Plug that in and then you just need to get your laptop to wireless connect to that (for internet).

This will mean that you won't need a phone line running to your PC any more - as it will wireless connect to the router (which then connects to the phone line).

** Unless you use your PC to send faxes, using a 56k modem, which is unlikely...

You'll need to buy a wireless adapter for your laptop, so it can wireless connect to the router.

The best type are the *tiny* ones, so you've not got a massive stick poking out.
This one will do the job:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/dect-wireless-phone-line-extender-97658

So
1) Buy DECT wireless extenders so you can plug your *phone line* based devices up, without *phone* wires.

2) Get wireless router set up.

3) Buy wireless USB adapter for Laptop.

Additionally!

If you use Sky HD, and have a new box - then you can plug those up to the internet so you can use Sky Plus Anytime.
But that's another story... :)

Sponsored Links
ok, first thing first. Do you have a wireless router?
If not ring your broadband provider and ask nicely for one.
We'll set up your network first.

With regards to running phones through the sockets; it's a good solution but expensive. You can just run phone cable around the skirtingboard or, you can lift the carpet and carefully lay it along the edge of the gripper rods. But thats entirely up to you.

To remind me, your laptop has got inbuilt wireless and your desktop doesn't right?

If your not too fussed about how fast your internet speed is on your PC, cos first off wireless isnt as fast as wired, this baby comes in at £8.59 so if all ya gonna do browse is BBC news, TVguide etc...then this would be sweet

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Netw...ss+N+USB+Adapter+[TL-WN723N]+?productId=43850

I personally prefer wired for all my PC's and have 3 wireless routers plus 1 switch around my house, I do use WIFI for my laptops although in my bedroom I connect my laptop to a 23" TFT to play any episodes of TV series or Films that I have on my main PC which acts as my media server this I done using a wire to avoid any lag

Eventually I will have a 42" LCD in my bedroom mounted on the wall connected to a full tower in my loft and I will use my laptop to remote desktop and play whatever, so my wireless router in my bedroom will have a network feed into the loft were I will have another switch, you see how it can seem compliacted but it can be a lot of work!! and you have just started!!

One last bit of advice, for any downloading of media, wired!!

Rather than use a USB wireless adapter on a desktop machine, I would suggest installing a Wireless LAN card in a spare PCI slot. Keeps USB and LAN separate!

Rather than use a USB wireless adapter on a desktop machine, I would suggest installing a Wireless LAN card in a spare PCI slot. Keeps USB and LAN separate!

Ya see thats the kind of thing I would do but to un-savvy folk ya cant go wrong wit a USB stick, as far as keeping LAN and USB seperate please do tell!!

hi again, I have got a sky wireless router, so it seems the best way forward is to 1.. buy a DECT phone line extender for bedroom sky box + hd box ( not cheap ! )
2..... put the sky router in the lounge where the phone line is concealed under carpet

3...buy a USB wireless adaptor for PC on landing

4... rip out the BT phone line extensions to laptop and PC upstairs

to receive internet on my sony TV in lounge they say i need to buy a sony wireless dongle but they cost nearly 50 quid is that bullshine or can i use another make thanks once again helpful guys PM

might be an idea as ive only one spare USB as my kids have ruined the 2 in front of the stack all the pins inside have broken !

ive taken the front casing off and cant see how i could replace them, i can also remember buying a 4 port hub but PC would not recognise it so i gave up maybe it was rubbish from ebay

to receive internet on my sony TV in lounge they say i need to buy a sony wireless dongle but they cost nearly 50 quid is that bullshine or can i use another make thanks once again helpful guys PM

It's not unfortunately (or at least it isn't with my Sony, unless they've changed it recently).
This is another way the TV manufacturers make their money :-/

Rather than buying a PCI network adapter, but a USB expansion card with another 4 slots in it.
The buy a USB wireless adapter.

Why?
Well they're cheaper and far more flexible.

Additionally, if you have signal problems and use a card - you have to buy an expensive one with multi-gain antenna's, etc.
If you use a USB stick...you can just buy a 2m USB extension wire for 99p off ebay and move the adapter about :)

cos first off wireless isnt as fast as wired

Standard RJ45 Cat5e runs at 10/100. Unless you buy 6e (gigabit).
Wireless - most free routers run at G or N (or MIMO G/N) - which is 54mbps to 100+mbps) - fast enough.

For streaming media, and even moving files around, G is far more than enough for 99% of people.

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wireless80211/a/aa80211standard.htm

Standard RJ45 Cat5e runs at 10/100. Unless you buy 6e (gigabit).

A: It's not 'RJ45'.
B: cat5 is sufficient for gigabit operation, cat5e is recommended. cat6e doesn't even exist.

Wireless - most free routers run at G or N (or MIMO G/N) - which is 54mbps to 100+mbps) - fast enough.

And actual transfer rates are far, far lower than that.

Best way for that sort of caper is a PC next to your TV with TV connected as its monitor wireless KnM on couch or watever, ive just re-done my living room and put my tower in back room still connected to my TV and 5.1 sound all wallmounted so when am playing films the silent parts ARE silent with no buzzing PC

Good for downloading full HD films and playing them straight on your TV, I also play need for speed titles and my lad plays fifa12 all on the TV with a wireless logitech rumble pad

Will upload pics later of my L room its not bad!!

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but have you thought about using wired home plugs for your PC rather than wireless? One next to your router, and one near your PC (assuming it has a LAN card already of course).

I use a couple of the Netgear products in a fairly busy network at work, and they work a treat. You can get a pair of a cheaper brand for about £30-40, and it'll give you better speed, reliability and flexibility than buying a USB wireless dongle.

Sponsored Links
Back