Good advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Bit of a problem right now . Long story but I'll try to condense it .
Rental property I own - 2 bed upstairs flat---above another one I also own--in a block of four.
Built 1981 - always been very warm flats .
Tenant in top flat 2 years ago was always complaning about high electric bills (no gas in flats-- only leccy- economy7).
Flats well insulated ( cav wall- and loft by me --also DG etc ).

2 weeks ago I went into top flat because oven had broken--so I replaced it .
Last week I got a call- 'only storage heater (creda 3.4) in flat' was not working. I looked at it- and knobs on top were 'cooked'.
I suggested they had been drying clothes on it.

Rather than make a fuss I said I will replace it asap. (this sat I will have one to do so).
Today I went past flat- and guy was there changing the metre- but couldnt complete the job because as soon as he turned power on- wheel was spinning so fast and things were overheating in fuse box (inlet).

1 Hour later- 2 vans there digging away at outside drive. Eventually they found the cables to fuse 'earth and live were touching '.
They said fuse was cooked and were in process of renewing the box and 2 meter of underground supply cable.

Still there 4 hours later.
What I'd like to know is - could this problem possibly affect the consumption of electricity in the flat ?.

Other thing I have found out is- when the guy who tried to fit the new metre said ' lots of power being consumed in flat at that moment --and when he tested eco7 immersion element-- it was running !!.
At that time of day- it should not have been running .
12-30 am until 07-30 am is the eco7 time here at flat.

Personally I think somewhere along the line the supply to 'inside the house consumer unit is wrong.

Has anyone got any ideas about this .
Please .
Tenants are worried because S Power says they have been using equivalent to £150 per month electricity.
Thanks .

Sponsored Links
More likely the load has caused overheating to the cut-out damaging it and the cable.

What I'd like to know is - could this problem possibly affect the consumption of electricity in the flat ?.
No - it's outside, before the meter.

Other thing I have found out is- when the guy who tried to fit the new metre said ' lots of power being consumed in flat at that moment --and when he tested eco7 immersion element-- it was running !!.
Do you have separate night-rate circuits, or rely on timers?

Tenants are worried because S Power says they have been using equivalent to £150 per month electricity.
Thanks .
If they've been charging up storage heaters in the day I'm not surprised.

No - it's outside, before the meter.

Do you have separate night-rate circuits, or rely on timers?

Thanks .
If they've been charging up storage heaters in the day I'm not surprised.

Thanks for reply .
Yes- separate circuits. Only 1 Storage heater and immersion --that's it .

I'm just trying to figure out if the consumer unit could have been affected-- possibly by surges /heat etc .

All I do know is - ive owned the flats for 15 years and the consumption has always been low .
The downstairs flat has low bills and no probs at all.

Electricity guys are still there now --all power off to both flats .
Really confusing .
Thanks for replys guys - much appreciated .

Sponsored Links
If in doubt, then get a qualified electrician to check the system. Yes it's a cost, but should the tenant kick up a fuss, then you will be able to show that your taken reasonable steps to make sure everything is OK.

Even a full EICR shouldn't cost all that much - how long since you last had one ? It;s not mandatory, but having one done from time to time is good from the POV of defending against any claims that the electrics weren't up to scratch. The recommended interval is every 5 years or on change of tenant.

If in doubt, then get a qualified electrician to check the system. Yes it's a cost, but should the tenant kick up a fuss, then you will be able to show that your taken reasonable steps to make sure everything is OK.

Even a full EICR shouldn't cost all that much - how long since you last had one ? It;s not mandatory, but having one done from time to time is good from the POV of defending against any claims that the electrics weren't up to scratch. The recommended interval is every 5 years or on change of tenant.

My best pal is fully qualified- and he did a cert for me 2 years ago-after he fitted new consumer unit. Everything spot on.
I will call him tomorrow and get him to check things out.
I just wanted to be forarmed for when I hear all sorts of exuses from scottish power when I tackle them about the 'real' cause .
Tenants are ok (as far as tenants go)--they are just perplexed about the amount S Power says they owe them after 9 months of estimated bills.
£150 per month is very heavy for a 2 bed upstairs flat -considering the lady who resides downstairs leaves her heating on all the time all year and obviously- her heat- rises up and pre heats the upstairs flat .

Can a 'shorting' main fuse affect the consumer unit though ?. Damage it etc ?.

Can a 'shorting' main fuse affect the consumer unit though ?. Damage it etc ?.

Nope, never seen it (unless the overheating has caused a fire anyway!!)

Have you checked the loft in-case they have relocated the green-house up there? :LOL:

Sorry, Interesting reading. I hope you let us know how it develops.

By the way a metre is a unit of measurement, sometimes measured by meters

I must admit --that was the first thing I thought of . :oops:
It's a funny situation in the flat - 20 something man and woman.
She works variable shifts during the day- and he works in a supermarket on nights .
Always difficult to go over there and have a look-on spec- because they always want notice . (I know I know )
Before they moved in- i boarded out the total loft area and fitted a large bespoke hatch with wooded steps (sort of 'Falkro' thing). Was to give them lots of storage space .
Lots of things come to mind though-- such as the meter readings being read the wrong way round . I know it happens- because they did that with our meter here -but i noticed the large bill and tackled them about it .
Does not explain the fuse problem though . :cry: .

I actually only live over the road and can see the flat from my front window.
Leccy people finished last night at 11pm - almost 7 hours there .All outside stuff.

I'll have a word with tenant this morning and see how it was left .
Thanks for replies guys .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back