Good Buy or Goodbye……

Sponsored Links
Victorian patent medicines mostly fell into disuse after 1948.

What is your actual ailment?

Make your own!
Effervescent Powder containing magnesium sulphate 17.4% w/w, Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate Ph Eur 22.6% w/w and Citric Acid (anhydrous) Ph Eur 19.5% w/w.
Been down to Tesco and Morrison’s but both are out of copies of the Pharmacopoeia Style Guide (2022). Will try Lidl’ and Aldi’s tomorrow. Meanwhile, where is my calculator?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They bring back memories for me and not good ones! In about 1979, it was a hot day and i didn’t really drink water on its own but I found a tin of Andrews liver salts in the first aid cupboard at work. I put a spoonful in some water and had a refreshing sparkling drink. So nice, I had another. And later on, another. That night I met Mrs Mottie-to-be from work and we went out for a drink in the Two Puddings in Stratford. I'd only just sat down when I needed to go to the toilet so off I trotted. Christ, did it flow! Came out, had another sip of my beer and had to go again. This happened about half a dozen times and by the end of the evening, my bum'ole looked like the Japanese flag! Never again. I honestly didn’t know what Andrews liver salts were for. I did then and I’ve not touched them since. Mrs Mottie often reminds me of that 'date' where I spent half the night in the toilets!

Edit: Blimey, I’ve just looked up the Puddings to see if it’s still there and apparently it was quite a notorious pub at the time. I certainly don’t remember it being like that. If we weren’t in there we were next door but one in 'Mooro's' - a pub owned by Bobby Moore. My sister worked behind the bar and often, I’d buy a round for my mates, get charged something like three quid, give her a fiver and get change for a twenty. ;) There were quite a few fights in that place and whenever it kicked off, the manager would run along the bar scooping all the glasses and bottles behind the bar before they started getting thrown. I remember one night it kicked off while Noel Edmonds was guest DJ'ing. He was about 4‘6” tall and he just crouched down behind the decks on the stage while his minder and a couple of bouncers covered him. He had a bit of a laugh about it when it was all over but he got out pretty sharpish. I can’t imagine going to a pub like that nowdays.

Last edited:
So, on reflection. If you needs to take 'liver salts' then there's summat wrong wiv yer body.

If you needs to take 'liver salts' regulars like, then there's summat wrong with how you treat yer body !

Why not alter how you treats yer body, mebbee then you won't need so much 'liver salts' ???

Does it help basic spelling ability?
I have just recently stepped back from my early retirement to form a cutting edge technology 'start up' to attempt to treat you & those like you who are afflicted by your peculiar affliction.

Basically, we are developing a perpendicular, tubular mask type apparatus, that forces mouth breathers to close their jaws & breathe like normal people, so's that the oxygen cannot bypass feeding the brain & exit straight through the rectum in the form of a forum posting.

Round one venture finance raised £1.85. When we publish the results of our research from the prototype I'm confident that we'll gain at least another 50p or so in round two. I cannot divulge this on an open forum as it's top secret, but Elon hisself is in on this at the start !

Hang in there chap, Dork has your back covered.

Dangerous stuff
I put some in a small tupperware with water. Put the lid on and gave it a shake.
The lid flew off smacking me in the face.
I wasn't the brightest child.

Can anyone explain what Andrews was actually for, and did it work?

I remember tins of the stuff all over the place in the 1970s, I think my dad used it as a hangover cure?

Sponsored Links
Back