good car for 17 year old new driver

106 is probably the puppy for you then. they don't look awful ( :p ) and will be cheap to insure,,,not sure how reliable they would be though.

also, buck the trend buy petrol, you know it makes sense. :)

Sponsored Links
As stupid as this may sound when I passed my test 5 years ago I bought a classic car.
1972 Ford Cortina Mk3, pimped it out with big wheels and a decent sound system, it cost me only £500 to insure!

Taught me everything i needed to know about cars. Did **** poor fuel economy though.

I've bought a Micra a few years ago with 30,000 on the clock. It's now up to 110,000 and still going strong. I use it for a 70 mile commute every day. All it has needed is an oil and filter change every 10,000, a few sets of front pads, tyres, a handbrake cable, a couple of front discs and a clutch at 100,000. There's no cam belt, which is a bonus.

It's a great car - massively reliable, and does 45mpg with no effort. Compared with some of the competition, the cars performance is just fine.

There is a reported fault with over-fuelling, which causes the car to flood when you try to start it. I've had this happen twice in the 80,000 miles I have used the car for.

Best thing? If you get one cheap, there's a good chance it will not have been boy racered to death. That's got to be a good thing.

hi everyone, thanks for the replies ive ended up getting a corsa sxi off my parents, it a 1.2 so its easy enough to insure but the cheapest insurance i can find is 5 grand!!!,
why is this? does anyone know any cheap insurance places?

thanks again for all the suggestions :)

tom

Sponsored Links
It would have been been better if it had a "Club" or "Life" badge on it instead of an SXi badge.

Its 5 grand mate because the insurers expect it to go through a hedge :eek:
I doubt if on line insurers would be the way to go, check out insurers in the car press.
Enjoy your motor and be safe
John :)

told you mate, corsa, sxi, 10 year old driver=mega premium.

at least you can look cool at the local shops in your static car wondering if you can actually take the over exposed sunbed tan biatch back to your parents place for a full on fumble session whilst still considering the fact you are paying 50% to ocean finance for the privilege.

Oh that was probably a mistake.

You'd have been well better off going to autotrader and seeing whats under £1000.

An old model swift is readily available for under a grand, does 40mpg on the motorway and will have at least 50,000 miles left to run.

1.2 for a first car these days is a no no. In hind sight, you should really have gone for an older car, smaller engine size and no curb appeal to youngsters. The classic car route can work, but you need to accept that you will have to get your head under the bonnet from time to time. Small engined 70's/80's cars would be favourite till you get some age and experience behind you.

Daewoo Matiz 800cc, recently had one, does about 100 miles on £15 of fuel and suprisingly nippy. Make sure you get the cam belt done, for me it was a cheap car to turn around and i didn't bother.

Get the number plate of one off of ebay and type it into an insurance webside comparrison thingy and bbe suprised.

i would rather have an old metro that a matiz, but then i like old sheds that need help and despise most new cars.

I think I would too nick, or a Nova, perhaps a mk1 or 2 fiesta, the thing is, those old cars rust, break down (albeit easy to repair) and have worse fuel economy, higher tax and spares are becoming more and more sparse.

There are loads of daewoo matiz's about, spares are cheap, service items are cheap and if well maintained they are reliable and return good mpg.

Ugly as hell though!!!!!

the matiz is fine automotive sludge for people not interested in cars, if you want A-B in some manner of comfort then it's fine. i agree it's ugly but then a metro is no looker either.

the kind of cars i buy means the tax is always cheaper on the older car, they are usually a higher spec, spares are plentiful new and second hand. the fuel economy is of no concern to me.

i almost bought a mk1 fezza a while back but i am trying to be a good boy and stick to just two cars. :)

Sponsored Links
Back