Good hole saw for 4" cast?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any recommends on a decent hole saw bit for cutting in to a 4" cast down pipe?...

No chinese brands...bless em..:cool:

Sponsored Links
Starret, Bosch, but I think you'll struggle whatever you use. I think some of the guys who visit here recommend chain drilling. Either way cast is a b***h.

been watching this post myself for some idea's, i have never been able to cut a hole into a cast pipe, i tried once and failed! so now i just replace in plastic

Use a starret hole saw and use a drill with a low spin speed. Get some cutting oil and a squirt can and get someone to keep the drill cool by giving it a squirt now and again, take your time and you'll get thru it.

Sponsored Links
Many power drills spin much too fast for a hole saw. The speed usually recommended for cutting cast iron is about 70 feet per minute.

A 2" hole saw has a circumference of about 6", so that means running it at about 140 RPM for the best results.

Spinning the saw too fast will quickly overheat and blunt the saw and possibly even work harden the iron you are trying to cut.

So it's a case of make haste slowly.

I found absolutely no problem drilling a cast flue pipe using a lennox saw and after grinding away the vitreous enamel. I used a DeWalt on it's lowest speed and just kept the speed down. No lubricant either. No problem.

oilman:What do you use covers after cutting ?. I usually end up robbing chrome covers off of bends !.

Many thanks for that..

I see what you mean about low speed cutting, keep the heat down etc.
Regarding low speed cutting, I bet it wouldn't take much too crack a bit of the cast off if the drill were to jam on a higher speed..

I'll post a picture when I do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back