Head gasket

Cam belt

Thermostat

Clutch

Oil and filter and air filter
500 with the tax 425 without

Sponsored Links
Not a reliable car.

Have you seen any Japanese brands, or do they just not appeal?

Step away from the ................ ROVER ..............................

Sponsored Links
The K series engine was actually ok in its smallest guise (Was that the Rover 100 or something) - but after that its a complete lottery. I won't go near them personally - they come back to haunt to often.
The thing is, with cars as cheap as this, the owner may as well keep them or turn them in for scrap....letting them go may indicate they've sniffed bother.
John :)

I wouldn't touch that Rover with a barge pole. No matter what the badge on the front, it's still a Benn-mobile (Tony Benn was Trade & Industry Secretary and bailed out British Leyland in the 1970s when their cars were atrociously badly built)

Well we got it and its in very good condition for the year. The guy selling it did the cam belt, head gasket and clutch. All those major things are at least now done so hopefuly it will do. Didnt see any jap cars and had no replies to this post before we went so whats done is done. She only wants it for a runaround town. Parkers website gives it pretty good reviews. Customer reviews were also on the whole good and reliable car. Thanks anyway for your sugestions and i will don my tin hat and await the flack :-\

Don't mind me, I'm sure it will be fine and they are a very comfortable car to drive. Always check the coolant level and keep a container of water in the boot, for extra peace of mind.

Hope your mam get many years of happy driving from your new purchase

Thanks. The circumstances are a bit complex but my Mum ran out of time and I feel for the money she did ok. Even if it lasts a couple of years. The lad was very transparent about what it had had done. The head gasket had been skimmed and he had the sense to change the cam belt at the same time.

I shudder when I remember about 19 years ago when I bought a W reg Toyota Starlet for £200 from someone from work. She said the rear rattling was due to the rear seat not quite locked down on the left side. I took it to a mechanic who pointed out that the rattling was in fact due to a gap between the wheel arch and the chassis that was moving as it was directly above the suspension. I had to have £200 worth of welding.

We hope it performs well.....at that sort of price there's no guarantee that anything would be any good - its just the luck of the draw.
Be lucky!
John :)

I had a Pug 106 1.5 Diesel for 5 years, probably the best car i've had on fuel, not the quickest thing but everything that ever needed replacing was cheap. Front discs and pads for £29 and 65mpg all day every day (you couldn't drive it much faster ;) )

the ideal car for that money is a skoda fabia or felicia i have had 6 skodas and they are fantastic cars they are very reliable and pretty reasonable to run if its a workhorse the lady wants they are perfect you can pick them up for silly prices worth a look

Have you checked Rover 400 420 SLI Automatic in petrol. I have seen its available in good condition but a 100 200 more than your range.

Sponsored Links
Back