Good screw set and bit

Then, I agree with you that you should know what you are doing.

Lol, i wish.

Need some guidance with screw head types i guess.

I was brought up on flat and philips head!

Sponsored Links
I find the impact driver even more effective when using big screws, cheap screws, used screws, screws with chewed up heads and any awkward situation/angle where you can't push on the screw. I can only imagine that advocates of a combi drill don't need to bang them in industrial quantities in challenging situations.

I recently splashed out on a trade pack of Spectre and was impressed, not so much with the fancy threads but the quality of the heads was noticeably better than the cheapest of the cheap that I'm used to.

I would advise the OP to put an impact driver on their Christmas list, I wish I had 20 years ago.

Do they slip? Does the bit hold fast in them?
I've found they hold well and rarely slip (only if I'm being really impatient!). I've used the Turbo TX and Spax flooring screws.
Although TBH I also have few problems with the Goldscrew PZ.

...and I had this realisation a while back, I'm afraid I have a thing for good screws! :)

Sponsored Links
Lol, i wish.

Need some guidance with screw head types i guess.

I was brought up on flat and philips head!
If you are using Philips bits would explain the slippage as most wood screws are posi these days .
Maybe invest in new glasses ?

If you are using Philips bits would explain the slippage as most wood screws are posi these days .
Maybe invest in new glasses ?

No, pozi bits and screw heads...

Reissers for me, very good quality and as good as spax but cheaper.
However, I too have a full selection of turbo screws (gold and silver) from screwfix.
They're very good quality and cheap enough.
I use them for most applications unless a reisser is required.

as a DIYer , having done a lot of projects just recently - screwfix had the packs on offer - so i purchased a couple

they were on offer at around £10 a box , so i snapped up a few boxes and i use them all the time ....
Also Lidl had some TX20 screws on offer - i purchased quite a few boxes of those in different sizes , and again used on quite a few jobs.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
In general I find Spax and Reisser screws to be the dogs danglies, followed by Spectre and (Tx) Forge Fast - at least for wood screws; Makita is good for collated flooring screws (as are Simpson Strong Tie); Hospa make the best screws I've found for kitchen cabinets (MFC) by far - and they also make Euroscrews; whilst Hilti are my choice for drywall screws, both loose and collated (they appear to be tumbled to remove all the sharp little shards that almost every other brand other than British Gypsum have in spades - look on eBay).

I'm currently using a mixture of Timco, Spectre and Fischer (yes, the plastic plug people) at work. Of the three the Fischer screws are the best by far (almost at Spax/Reisser quality), but I can't recall seeing anyone selling them retail, which is a real pity

Tx heads drive much more positively than PZD or Phillips with no cam out, but they don't allow you to drivevoff line like Pozidriv screws do.

Good screws like Spax and Reisser can be driven and withdrawn numerous times before they burr out and become useless but as with other things in life they drive better and wear/round out less quickly if you also use good quality bits.

The best quality impact bits have got to be Wera. WIha are also good, but I've found that they don't last quite as long. Of the others deWalt are OK for general use, as are Bosch, but neither seem to be up to heavy impact driver usage (even those marked "impact resistant"). I have mixed feelings about their Pozidrive impact bits - they must be the only impact bits on the market which round off and start camming out (which burrs the recesses in the screw heads) when they get to the end of their life - every other bit I've usex literally explodes, it atvthe very keast loses a chunk, and that's that, but at least they don't cream cracker the screw heads the way Milwaukee bits seem to. The odd thing is, the Milwaukee Phillips bits are fine..

+1 for spax screws for the quality.
Reisser are also good.
Depends what you want

General purpose really with a good, reliable bit too.

Just a DIYer.....all round good bit and screw type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back