Good screw set and bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a selection of screws which were bought quite some time ago which were cheap. They come in their own box with compartments in it.

I am sick of them to be honest. They are naff. In all ways!

I am after a good set of screws that are good for wood and general applications. Plus, a good bit for them.

The screws i use, whatever bit i use, it jumps out, or mauls the screw heads. No good grip.

Please advise. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not necessarily recommending this set, due to the price!
But when I've tried them in smaller packs, they are a decent screw and I like the TX head...

I'm sure others will be along shortly with their reommendations :)

Forge fast or spectre for me, usually from toolstation, spectre are my preferred choice especially if restocking the full tray.

I also use milwaukee pz2 bits as they were on offer in toolstation at one point.

Sponsored Links
The screws i use, whatever bit i use, it jumps out, or mauls the screw heads. No good grip.
are you using an impact driver , do you have control over the speed
Mine has 3 settings and i have found , i use setting 1 or 2 - otherwise i get the same issue
But A DIYer , so have time to play around

If the box and compartments is good, then just buy the screws you need for now and store them in the organiser. Just buy some decent bits, usually in a small box, or the ones on offer like DeWalt et al.

are you using an impact driver , do you have control over the speed
Mine has 3 settings and i have found , i use setting 1 or 2 - otherwise i get the same issue
But A DIYer , so have time to play around

No, just my combi drill.

As for technique questioned above, been DIY for decades (almost 60 years old now).

I too only have a combi drill for screwing stuff, I've managed all these years without an impact driver but a cheap screw won't cut through the wood like a decent screw so needs more torque, combine that with an under-powered driver and it's a recipe for disaster.

Bought one of these packs a year or so ago

Used for all sorts of things. Mostly using my DIY grade (Einhell) impact and PZ2 from my Bahco bit set.

Worth spending a bit on a branded bit set

FWIW

I like the previously mentioned spectre screws, also spax... but I also buy a lot of cheapo tool station jobs.

Preferred bits for me would be Wiha, they seem to last for ages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back