Got a reply from building regs - advice needed

Sponsored Links
Replied to BC with my supplementary specification. I'll await the outcome and let you know if it was what he was after. Thanks for the advice and laughs!

The 'Pro' that did our drawings missed more off than that so well done to you Pilsbury (y)

Sponsored Links
Cheers Ian - feeling my way through this as a novice. I'm sure someone who knows what they are doing has a set of statements that cover what BC want to know.

Was going to post my specification, but think I'll wait till BC come back - after the comments about my drawings, I think the crapometer will go beserk with my submission today!

Well, well, well. Got an email from building regs saying my specification appears to be adequate. Says I should get a reply in 5 days. Crapometer swinging back to normal.

Sent an reply email to "Vaughan" thanking him for his guidance. I'm guessing he is my allotted BC person and I'm keen to keep him on side. I can see his patience wearing thin with me very quickly!

Is it likely that the person looking at your regs application is the person who will do your site visits? Does the same person stick with you throughout or just any inspector calls at the specified building stages? This is with Acivico who do Birmingham councils BC.

So here is the supplementary info now it seems to be adequate. Feel free to comment..... I know you won't hold back, but it's all helpful in its own way!

Single storey side extension and partial garage conversion into utility room and w/c

Foundations
C25 concrete mass fill to BS5328 (2)
To solid ground (approx 1000mm d x 600mm w)

External walls below DPC
7.3N 100mm concrete blocks
75mm Imperial frost resistant bricks
Weak mix cavity fill to 225mm below DPC
DPC 315mm above ground level

External walls above DPC
Outer leaf 7.3N 100mm concrete blocks with cement based render
Inner leaf 3.6N 100mm thermalite blocks non combustible euroclass A1 fire
Plasterboard and skim finish
Cavity wall rockwool slab 100mm non combustible euroclass A1 fire
Stainless steel wall ties set at 900mm horizontal 450mm vertical
Insulated cavity wall closures at all cavity openings
Catnic insulated cavity lintels 100mm at window and door openings
(U=0.3w/mK)

Doors & Windows
UPVc french doors 1800 x 2100, 28mm double glazed Low-e glass (U=1.4w/mK)
Windows to front 28mm double glazed Low-e glass (U=1.4w/mK)
Skylight 16mm argon filled approx 800 x 1200 with timber kerb to minimise thermal bridge (U=1.2w/mK)

Flat roof - Warm deck construction
GRP covering, 11mm OSB3 top deck, 100mm Celotex solid insulation, VCL, 18mm OSB3 base deck, Firrings to finished fall of minimum 1:80 as per BS6229 & BS8217, 200x50 Joists (4700 max span), 12.5mm plasterboard with skim coat
(U=0.15w/mK)

Floor - Solid construction
150mm compacted MOT, sand blinding, 1200ga DPM, 150mm GEN1 concrete slab, 100mm Celotex, Wet UFH, 40mm self levelling screed, 25mm PIR edge upstand to prevent thermal bridge, Tiled FFL. (U=0.22w/mK)

Plumbing and heating
Wet UFH system 200mm pipe centres, (100mm within 500mm of external patio doors) connected to combi boiler with room thermostat.
Hot and cold water feed to sink, utility and W/C
No gas work required

Drainage
Under ground
100mm PVC pipe, minimum 1:80 fall, 150mm pea gravel surrounding before backfill
Rodding eye located at top of straight runs

Above ground
40mm waste for sinks/washing machine/dishwasher connected to main sewer run

Electrics
To be carried out to Part P by electrician

Ventilation
Kitchen - Over hob, (minimum of 30l/s)
Utility - extractor fan (minimum 30l/s)
W/C - extractor fan with over run (minimum 6l/s)
In addition to purge ventilation

Lighting
LED low energy downlighting

Partial garage conversion
Floor, roof, drainage, electrics, lighting, ventilation, plumbing, heating to conform as above
Walls, single skin 100mm thermalite block with 60mm gyproc thermaline on dabs, skimmed (0.3w/mK)

Air leakage & thermal bridging
Constructed so that there are no reasonably avoidable thermal bridges in the insulation layers caused by gaps within the various elements, at the joints between elements and at the edges of elements such as those around window and door openings.

The flat roof u value seems rather good for only 100mm celotex. Is that correct?

Steve - If I'm perfectly honest I don't really know. I think the idea is to work out the U value from all the k values and R values.... I have a very basic understanding at best so have just looked at accepted construction and submitted the BC minimum required U values.

With regards to the roof, I think 120mm celotex is the norm but I thought I'd see what I can get away with! What's 20mm between friends? Apart from several hundred quid that would take me 25 years to recoup in energy savings!

The price of all this insulation grates me - the rest of the house is single glazed solid brick and draughty as hell. The kitchen is going to be able to be heated by a single candle while the heating is on full blast struggling to get the rest of the house to 17 degrees. If I spent half the money of the insulation on the rest, the world would be a better place. But, money I don't have with the extension looming.

Could you offer to compromise by having thinner Celotex in the extension, and packing more (far cheaper) fibreglass in the
main roof (if you could show that the net heat loss would be less).

Don't think that will wash but I'll be looking to sort the rest at a later date. Worth considering though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back