Got a reply from building regs - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Submitted full plans which I felt were pretty detailed a couple of weeks ago and got a reply saying I needed to include specifications on the following:

Foundation details to BS5328 Part 2.
External walls below & above Damp proof course, including wall ties, bonding, internal finish & insulation
Cavity barriers, lintels,
Flat roof construction including details of warm or cold deck, finishing, firing strips, fire proofing
Windows & doors
Electrics Part P
Plumbing & heating
Above & below drainage details, protection of drains
Air leakage/thermal bridging
Stud partitions
Ventilation
Low energy fittings
u-values for walls, floor, roof, windows & doors

I've got most of the info, but there are a few things in red above that I could do with some pointers on. On second thoughts being a novice, advice on any of it is appreciated

On the flat roof, what fire proofing is necessary? Just plasterboarded/skimmed ceiling?
Electrics part P - what is there to say other than a sparky will be doing that to Part P? Do they need to know where plug sockets are going?
Air leakage and thermal bridging - must say I've not a clue.....

Grateful for any help

Sponsored Links
You are asking a lot there. Perhaps too much for a in depth reply

And it has no context as to how those apply to your design

Fireproofing; Nothing is fireproof - inspector should have referred to 'fire resistance' or in some instances 'spread of flame' All elements of structure in a dwelling need 30 mins. fire resistance. This is achieved by the correct thickness of plasterboard on items such as steel beams. A roof structure does not need to have any fire resistance (unless there is a balcony above).

Electrics; just add a note that electrics will be undertaken by a Part P registered contractor.

Air leakage/thermal bridging; these are relevant around door and window openings and where floor joists go into the inner skin of cavity walls; just a case of ensuring there are no gaps in insulation.

There is also external fire spread of the roofing material to consider

Sponsored Links
Woody - my plans have been modified as per your and other suggestions, but here is the post that the originals were in: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/building-regs-drawings-my-attempt.478756/
I agree there is a lot there, hence me highlighting the bits in red I was most confused about - the rest I think I can just about muster. To me the list looks like a cut and paste job rather than specific to my extension.

Tony - Thanks for your comments. As per my comment above, alot of what is being asked doesn't seem totally relevant. I shall send the reply as best I can to see how it goes down.

Next time? Jesus! I hope there will be no next time..... I'm attempting the lot myself from drawings to building. No experience of either which I'm finding out at stage 1 is an issue! Nothing that can't be overcome....

You need to ring them up and ask the plan checker what hes referring to. They dont mean much on there own

Air leakage/thermal bridging sounds like joists built into walls

Fire proofing sounds like you have not specified the plasterboard or intumescent sealing

Part P, you state who is doing the electrics.

The issues relate to text specification, not the drawings

He does not need to post his drawings. If the text ain't there, it ain't there.

Bullshit, I'll wager the submitted drawings are a pile of crap, (no offence at the OP). Care to post your submitted drawings pilsbury?
Brilliant! Don't think you've spoiled my architectural career with your kind words! Look up the page a few replies and see the link I posted. The submitted drawings were without the colours. I'd like to think a heroic first effort rather than a "pile of crap". However, from building regs response I think I know the way the crapometer is pointing!

I prefer Woody's explanation that I submitted no text details to accompany my drawings

Next time, perhaps use a private inspector rather than the council?
Yeah, cowboy builders and poor plan drawers just love a PI. Who needs a thorough inspector when you can get away with a private bod and loads of dodgy photos. Schitt at drawing plans - use a PI.:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back