Gravel driveway edging and issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

First post, hoping you can help.

We moved into a house recently where the driveway has been bodged, the old concrete was removed but they have just tipped gravel on the earth/rubble, so it is one stone deep by the door and about a foot near the kerb!

Anyway. So, we will redo the driveway in time but not now. Now I need a temporary fix.

The council have agreed to drop the kerb under the condition that we:

-install boundary edging to footway level
-install system to prevent gravel spreading

I presume the first is edging stones that I can dig and concrete in?

However, on the second, any ideas how I can do a short term fix that doesn't involve a complete overhaul (that is to come but not this year!)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
-install system to prevent gravel spreading
I assume they mean a 1m wide rumble strip or similar at the threshold of your driveway to prevent the gravel migrating onto the footpath.

People foolishly believe that gravel will be maintenance free. It isn't. The gravel will migrate as vehicle tyres spread it to the unused areas. Weeds will grow where there is least traffic and will set/germinate from above.

The edging stones is the very same "system" to stop the gravel spreading.

Sponsored Links
The edging stones is the very same "system" to stop the gravel spreading.
Councils are asking for a (certain width) buffer between the gravel and the footpath. We have done a few. Gravel still finds its way across though. Must be those pesky tyre treads.

Councils are asking for a (certain width) buffer between the gravel and the footpath. We have done a few. Gravel still finds its way across though. Must be those pesky tyre treads.

Can they? Under what powers?

The only way I can think of the council being able to dictate what a homeowner does with their drive, is as a condition on a full planning permission for the building and landscaping. Highways Dept (dropped kerb) certainly can't insist on anything.

Asking is not the same as insisting.

The council can insist that you don't make the footpath more hazardous.

The Bullnose edgings, not the kerbs like there are at the side of the road.

With at least 100mm of concrete below and concrete either side and sloped up, but kept lower than the top to allow for whatever paving there is.

As per Woody - bull nose concrete edgings. You need these in place as your demarcation buffer, irrespective of whether you add a rumble strip along side. They also need to be on your side of the property line. This is so that highways can dig up the footpath and not bother your drive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back