gravel driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there everyone...
Im looking to gravel the front garden 66sqm to use as a drive (pics attached) and was thinking of using a type one base ie crushed cement or type one MOT, then using a mid dark stone for capping (4" base and 2" top)
Take down four trees along side as I beleive i will encounter problems with roots when digging out.. ive inspected and see no signs of bird nesting
Just a couple of questions
Is type 1 correct for this, or should I use something that would let water drain though and if so what?
Can anyone tell me what is the best stone for the top?
Any advice very welcome
Thanks
legepe

Attachments

• IMG_20210315_103138163.jpg
    IMG_20210315_103138163.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_20210315_103216098.jpg
    IMG_20210315_103216098.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 231
Sponsored Links
If you do use gravel - also use a grid system. Loose gravel would be awful. Bear in mind that type 1 isn't permeable so you'll need drainage of some sort. Also bear in mind that non permeable surface of more than 5m² technically requires planning permission.

Sponsored Links
If you do use gravel - also use a grid system. Loose gravel would be awful. Bear in mind that type 1 isn't permeable so you'll need drainage of some sort. Also bear in mind that non permeable surface of more than 5m² technically requires planning permission.
Thanks for this info.. I have checked with planning and I am fine to do this as it will have a soakaway around it and its not going upto a path or road. My other question is: I am doing 66 sqm's so am I correct with 6.6sqm cube of type 1 MOT to compact it down to 100mm or will I need more? Once I have this compacted I was simply going to put 20mm single granite at 30mm depth (1.98 or 2 cube) and compact it. Can you please tell me what you mean with a grid system?

I have specified Polypipe Gravel pro on a number of jobs, although there are lots of other options. It is basically a plastic grid, about 50mm deep. You pin them down to the ground and pour the loose gravel over the grid. It holds the gravel in place and makes a very firm surface - and permeable if you use a permeable sub-base. You can get different colours. Fairly simple way to cover a large area and get a fairly natural look and the only maintenance is possibly a top up of the gravel if it dips a bit.

PS, I only mentioned this because you said you were considering loose gravel, which would be awful. Depending on how much you want to spend there are lots of other decent options - including block paving.

I have specified Polypipe Gravel pro on a number of jobs, although there are lots of other options. It is basically a plastic grid, about 50mm deep. You pin them down to the ground and pour the loose gravel over the grid. It holds the gravel in place and makes a very firm surface - and permeable if you use a permeable sub-base. You can get different colours. Fairly simple way to cover a large area and get a fairly natural look and the only maintenance is possibly a top up of the gravel if it dips a bit.
I looked at the polypipe gravel but I cant see a price... any idea how much roughly it would cost to cover 66sqm (Im on a budget and was choosing gravel because I was thinking its the cheapest option) but the costs seem to be going up.. n up
My other questions -
1. do I need to order 6.6 cube of type 1 MOT to cover 66sqm at 100mm or do i need to order more to take account of when its compacted?
2. what other material can be used to give a permable base? and would this be better than MOT
Thanks
legepe

Type 1 isn't really permeable once compacted. You'd want 40mm stone with a geo membrane over. I'd expect to pay about £20 or £25 per metre for the grid, but you'll have to shop around. If you want to cut costs, just grid the traffic areas and loose gravel the rest.

Hi again... I will be putting type 1 mot 100 to 120mm depth.. my question now is what depth do I need to put 20mm single granite top.. ive been told not to exceed 30mm but someone else has said 50mm is correct and both have said its not necessary to put a gravel grid.. can someone clarify this? Thanks

30mm with a 20mm gravel is not going to work.

I'd go 50mm-80mm.

Grid isn't needed, but by all reports make a better drive that's easier to maintain

Your ton bags will measure more like 800x800x800mm rather that a 1mtr cube so you would need more than 6.6 to get 100mm over 66mtrs.

Thanks for all your replies guys... Im guessing Ill probably end up having around 50-60mm of top stone and will not use the gravel grid.. We've dug out slightly more than the 150mm at around 180 so far (see pic) so Ive ordered 15 ton of type 1 MOT to compansate for a bit more, hope my calculations are correct and I dont regret not using a gravel grid

Attachments

• IMG_20210404_090839342.jpg
    IMG_20210404_090839342.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20210404_090950523.jpg
    IMG_20210404_090950523.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 122
What's the point of asking questions and getting advice from people who have completed this sort of work for you to ignore them and do it your way???

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back