Green Belt & New Builds

Sponsored Links
Not if they're on minimum wage/zero hour contracts not earning enough to pay any tax or NI.

I looked into it some years ago and it might have changed now but if you're limited overseas you only pay a basic 20% anyway, if you meet the threshold.

Spoke with quite a few people on site from Eastern Europe and the general idea was work day and night until they're at the threshold then go back for a holiday and live like kings and pay no tax at all.

I reckon we should just leave the people who want cheap housing to sort it out themselves. Seems to me that the only people shouting about it are those keyboard warriors on piddly little forums like this one. I have my house, it's a nice house in my opinion. It's all paid for and everything belongs to me. I got it by sheer hard word and a bit of luck. The cardboard new build houses around me are selling for up to £400,000 or more. Time those that want cheap housing did something, positive, about it.

I reckon we should just leave the people who want cheap housing to sort it out themselves. Seems to me that the only people shouting about it are those keyboard warriors on piddly little forums like this one. I have my house, it's a nice house in my opinion. It's all paid for and everything belongs to me. I got it by sheer hard word and a bit of luck. The cardboard new build houses around me are selling for up to £400,000 or more. Time those that want cheap housing did something, positive, about it.

Doesn't bother me, my house is paid for. Pull the ladder up, Jack.

Sponsored Links
I have no real problem with building on greenbelt - so much of Britain is green - even in the Chelmsford area where I am, 82% of the land is farmland, 4% natural and 4% green urban - only 9% is built on.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41901294

But, I hate these developments with giant houses and tiny gardens. Smaller houses with bigger gardens will essentially keep the are a "green", with plants and wildlife flourishing.

There is plenty of room to build more homes. But the NIMBY voice is very strong in all areas.

Of course, the combination of global warming and brexit could seriously screw up our agricultural output, so we might need more fields for crops!

around here, loads of developments are 2 for 1 and 3 for 1.

IE knock down a house with a big garden, build 2 houses or 3 houses.

Loads of local builders are doing it.

Its very very hard to get plots of land for building on, because the developers pay sweeteners to estate agents, so the smaller developers find it very difficult to get into the game.

Big plots need huge amounts of money spent on planning consultants for getting consent.

Yep, three about 3 minutes walk from me.

One was an old school house, on a good size plot. Now building 2 large houses, which will have tiny gardens. Here's the sat image. They're replacing that house with a larger one, plus another. The back gardens can't be more than 8m.

Another was a cottage on a nice long plot, now 3 very large houses with almost no gardens. Building finished now - here's the sat image, the third house is to the left, not built yet. All sold though.

The third was a plot on somebody's land, which they built a massive house on, which as practically no garden at all - they have already dropped the price, and I think they will need to drop a lot more before somebody decides they want a big house with no garden that is totally surrounded by a tall fence. See it here. Nice house, but so uninviting - visitors will have to go through a gate before seeing the house, very weird. And the cars will be parked next to the tiny patch of lawn. Pathetic. They could have built a modest 2 bed cottage with a garden.

I lived on a cramped estate for 15 years. It was OK to start with, but once kids got cars, a nightmare. Still getting worse. I have moved to a knackered 1930s bungalow, house half the size, much bigger plot. How it should be!

Like it or not, council housing is a partial answer. Not necessarily big houses, but more 1 or 2 bed flats.

Who removed all the council housing and never replaced it?

We all know the answer to that. Why have affordable social housing when you can sell it all and use the cash to invest into construction businesses that you have shares in?

does this look like a nice inviting house? 4 bedroom house on the market for £630,000. One of the bedrooms is downstairs next to the carpark/lawn.

IMG_20180807_123349870_HDR.jpg

That buy 1, build 1+n tactic is going on all over. Near me was a bungalow (see centre of pic, the bungalow with several dark coloured cars in the drive) which was bought by the previous owner round about the same time we bought ours in June 1999. They bought it for 220K. They sold in December 2017 for 900K.
On the land now is two pairs of three-storey townhouses.
The developers have apparently also bought the old Victorian gaff to the left and will put the same again across the front and another pair down the side.

upload_2018-8-11_8-3-55.png

BTW, if anyone lives near the Blue Sapphire restaurant, I can recommend the food.

Sponsored Links
Back