Green Belt & New Builds

OK, so why would everyone's property be devalued by 50-75% if cheaper land were to be made available?

Sponsored Links
OK, so why would everyone's property be devalued by 50-75% if cheaper land were to be made available?

I imagine the point is that house prices would need to drop by 50 -75% in order to become affordable. New houses cant simply be cheaper, lower prices are across the board.

SS

I'm not saying they would. You were complaining about the price of houses and I asked if you would like the price of them - including yours - to be reduced.

Even if the Duke of Devonshire and his ilk were to give their land for free, and the builder didn't cash in, so a new house there cost 50% of normal, when one of the buyers of these 'cheap' houses wanted to move, the house would then be sold at the market price.

So, the only one to have lost out would be the DofD and that is NOT how it works.

There would have to be conditions of sale attached to the house, preventing sale at that market price.

Sponsored Links
Exactly - and how would that work?
Would you also vet prospective buyers to judge if they were worthy?

And then - you own a house but cannot sell it to someone willing to pay you more than a price determined by someone else.

I think you have council houses in mind. Someone decided to do away with such things.

OK, so we will have to agree to disagree on that!
How would you tackle the problem?

It depends where they are buying. Near me they are building "affordable" homes, 2 bed flats £300k, then, depending what extras you want( kitchen/bathroom tiles, floor coverings, a parking space) the price rises, making it less "affordable". A lot of purchasers may be working for national companies, partners on minimum wage, so earnings pretty similar across the country, so some areas housing would be even more affordable.

There's a few sites around me offering "affordable" housing but when we say housing, it's simply that. Nothing you'd want to make a home out of. Example is the attached photo; the 'Granby'. £239k shoe box.

I've often noticed new-build houses' front 'lawns' looking over grown and messy and thinking about it, the pitches are probably that small the tennants can't see the point of investing in a mower. At least the council terraces were a decent size and had a bit of greenery with them.

Attachments

• 5737.jpg
    5737.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 67
All I'm asking is for your views on how houses (read "land") could be made more affordable. I don't know why you're reluctant to talk about this!

All I'm asking is for your views on how houses (read "land") could be made more affordable. I don't know why you're reluctant to talk about this!
They (read "it") can't.

Only buyers want property and land to be cheaper. No one will sell anything for less than they could get.
The system is working well for those who own.

The so-called "affordable housing" schemes are a sop and a sham - and they're not really "affordable"; they are just smaller.
Perhaps everyone's wages should double; why don't they do that?

That's what I've been saying all along.

Tax BIG families - do not pay people to have more offspring than parents of the offspring...

In my life time the population of this country has gone up by 50%.

Never will be a solution. 10.6 percent of England is urban. Add in roads and the land left gets even less.
53 million in England. Too many people. Not even enough farm land to feed the people. And fuel? Lets not even go there..
And too many foreign bred slackers in the country.
Current factory farming and industrialised farming has already decimated the natural habitats of the country side with dozens of species gone extinct in the last 50 years..
And sewage from these urban cack holes? Councils just dump it down the rivers untreated when it suits them killing every thing in its path.
And a farmer will be fined thousands for the slightest drop of effluent that reaches a river.

Roger I agree there are too many people. I've not met to many foreign slackers. But they do need somewhere to live and park their car.

We have not learned since the 50s and beyond.

Sir Frederick Gibbard made a fantastic job designing Harlow.. One thing he got wrong was parking. He did not have the hindsight that family"s/households would have 2 3 4 or more cars. Church Langley a relatively new village on the outskirts of Harlow had that hindsight but still have massive parking issues. Its greed on part big business local and national governments...

An I'm all right Jack. Most of Europe don't live on top of each other like we do.

Tax BIG families - do not pay people to have more offspring than parents of the offspring...

In my life time the population of this country has gone up by 50%.

Well there is a touch of pyramid selling

Immigration of young people drives up the ratio of working to retired people and it means young people help with paying for older people.

It also is a policy of both UK and EU as it means owners of large companies get rich from the inflow of young Eastern Europeans.

But it creates a strain on housing, infrastructure etc etc. Like pyramid selling bubbles can burst.

all the time there is a higher demand for buying houses than selling them, prices will rise.

Private housebuilding cant solve the problem -they need to make a profit, so they cant build houses if house prices are falling.

The larger house builders have acres in their land bank. It's nothing to do with the cost of the land or the availability. House builders sit on their land banks until they feel the market for that area is strong and profitable. I know someone who had 20 or so detached houses built and didn't market them until they would meet his idea of profit.

Only the same issues that make it difficult for first time buyers (up front cash) make it difficult for anyone to buy a plot and build their own property.

The issue lies with demand. As long as people want to pay quarter of a million for a shoe box (see my earlier post), the housing markets will continue to reflect that.

The supply could be met if it were not through greed.

Sponsored Links
Back