didn't know where to put this . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At work we have a conveyor belt running between the upper (warehouse) floor and the lower floor (shop floor). Its purpose it to transfer stock, in full cases, from the warehouse / delivery area upstairs to the shopfloor. The conveyor belt setup has been here since the building was built in the 50's / 60's. Obviously it's had a couple of new belts and motors in that time! It had a new belt put on in december, after much complaining that stock was simply sliding down the belt.

While the conveyor belt people were there, they took a part of the old belt and fixed it to the "landing" at the bottom of the main section of belt, which previously was just a metal platform. The main stretch used to end with a lip and a metal cover, which stock would get caught and damaged on. Its purpose was obviously to cover the rollers underneath.

Now, however, both rollers are exposed, as there is no metal cover, although they are covered mostly by the belts. The belts can move both ways, and are powered by a motor upstairs, which has controls at the top and bottom. The controls, i believe, are original. The belt has no safety infra-red eyes or other features. The only things that controls it is the 2 controllers.

My question is, do you think this is safe:
dsc00411bo0.jpg

At the bottom of the picture is the landing belt (about 3 feet long), the top of the picture is the main, diagonal stretch (about 10 metres long). Only a small person can get underneath to clean, due to the walls and the legs of the belt. My hand fits between the 2 belts, and moving parts are exposed. Because the belt sits between 2 walls, I often have to get on the belt and walk up / down it to rescue cases that are too big (the guard rails are wider at the top!)

As I said, there are no safety features to stop the belt in an emergency / accident, though the stop buttons are a lot more sensitive on both controllers :LOL: They were going to put a lift in last year, but it was gonna cost them £20k to make the structural arrangements before they even purchased the lift!

Opinions?

Sponsored Links
****e. i wouldnt be putting my hands anywhere near that

bricks1.gif

Can I have a penguin and a packet of seabrookes prawn cocktail please!

:mrgreen:

Nowt will happen unless a call is made!!

Sponsored Links
ricicle said:
Has someone done a risk assessment for persons using the conveyor?
Probably by an area manager. The regional manager came and condemned it a couple of times in the past, but the only "improvement" is the plywood tops on the guard rails to cover the gap, again, done in december with the new rubber/hessian braided belt.

The wall to the right there seperates the conveyor from the stairs, the wall to the left and behind is a cellar wall underground, and is VERY damp. (shop is on a hill, deliveries are taken in right above this area) The paint is falling off the damp walls. The lino tiled floor gets wet, puddles, under the landing belt when it rains. Typical 50's/60's concrete building. :rolleyes:

Doc lenny, believe you me, many phone calls have been made. But at least we got SOME improvements. That'll be 36p mate. :LOL:

Crafty, I was in China last month - you want to see what they get up to! Makes your little "issue" look like a discussion about who's gonna make the tea! Get a grip man!

If you don't mind blighting your career, you could WRITE to your regional manager or better, your HSE office, with pictures, and ask for their confirmation that it is safe to use. Don't give your opinion, just ask for theirs. You might like to use Recorded Delivery as they may prefer the issue to get "lost" (you will probably find there is no record of your phone calls in any official file)

You ought to copy the store manager.

What are the chances anyone will put their name to a reply saying that it is safe? How would they look when an employee loses a limb?

Has anyone had an accident with it so far?

In cases like these, it usually takes someone to lose an arm in the belt gear before something gets done.

Do you have a H&S Nazi on the premisies? If so, bounce their bonce off the belt until the take notice :D

thats why i keep seeing all those one armed shop workers! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back