Greenstar 28i Junior Combi Pressure????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Wondering if someone could advise me on a query on the Greenstar 28i Junior Combi boiler I have in a property I let out.

In process of tenants moving out, with new ones due in end of the year, but had look at the plumbing set up and found something wasn't sure about.

Basically, the pressure when topped up, never holds and drops away to zero quickly. Its the external filling loop way, not the internal or the key.

Now when topping up the pressure, its on the Domestic Cold Water Mains inlet, but when trace the plumbing on it, its connected to the CH Return also..... is this correct?

Will try load a pic if I can!!

Hopefully someone can assist me! TIA

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Filling loop takes water from cold feed ,via non return valve ,into ch sealed system. If loss of pressure at boiler gauge then water is leaking out the sealed system.

pics attached.....

any common areas for leaks terryplumb?

Attachments

• 20181110_182839[2387].jpg
    20181110_182839[2387].jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 20181110_182844[2386].jpg
    20181110_182844[2386].jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 190
Anywhere on the rads and pipework ,or within the boiler its prv pipework or condensate drain ,unfortunately. The most obvious for you to check first would be all visible pipework and radiators and their valves. When system is cold ,top up to 1 bar and run central heating ,look outside for a copper pipe sticking out the wall ,close to boiler location. Thats the prv pipework ,see if it drips water ( it shouldnt ) ,thats a common problem .

Sponsored Links
that's brilliant thanks terryplumb, will try that this week see if can see anything.

know there was a blockage in the pipes under the floorboards in the hall a year or so ago, but that got sorted (new flooring required) and the heating and hot water been fine since even with this no pressure.

Odd ,with no pressure the boiler shouldnt even fire up ?? Or am i misinterpreting your post ?

nah would say understanding it fine, CH and hot water been fine and boiler kicks in when CH timed to come on no probs.

So today was last day of tenancy so been up switched off the boiler and topped pressure up to bout 1.3 bar, will monitor it over next few days see if it holds. Couldn't see if the pipe outside was dropping as the rain was lashing into the window in utility room where boiler is and wasn't putting head out in that lol

Been to property tonight and the pressure is down to prob to 0.3bar, heating and hot water both on and running fine.

So that's been 5 days it's dropped from 1.3 to 0.3 bar ........

You now need to find out where the water is getting out. Has heating been off over this period ?
Its either a leak on the system ,pipes ,rads etc.
Or from the boiler itself.
You could isolate the boilers flow and return and electrics, after topping pressure to around 1.5 bar ,and leave it for a day or two. If pressure has then dropped its the boiler.

it's on programmed timer so on for a few hours in the morning then all evening.

All the radiators seem dry around the pipes, the kitchen boiler does need bled though as it's cold at the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back