Greta Thundberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

That is just a gesture. Is that boat carbon neutral, absolutely not! It will have a massive carbon footprint in its build process. Don't say the trip will not generate any carbon please - the boat already used a lot of carbon in its production, it has a limited life, then it will be scrapped and a new one built. Usage of the boat, uses up some of that finite life.

There isn't much which can be done in life, which is truly, deep down carbon neutral.

Sponsored Links
There's loads of graphs like this, and they are all a bit different, so not accurate. This one chosen for the nice colours.

We need more blue on this graph. Lots more. Another reason to install more insulation in your homes!

I cannot see any sign of the proportion of wind generated power in that graph, but I am aware several percent of it ought to be?

Have you got anything that is based on reality?
You have still to provide any evidence. Do you seriously think that its all a big conspiracy between climate scientists and solar panel manufacturers?

The scientists on both sides are financed, just like our politicians. They all have an axe to grind, depending upon who pays the piper.

Just look at the climate disaster prediction over the past few years, did any of it happen?

Some of you need to be much more sceptical when you read and research who might be backing the writer to do his research and make his predictions.

They are awfully big corporations producing wind generators and solar panels, making vast profits. I have been on this earth long enough to know that the UK's local climate has always been wildly variant.

Sponsored Links
And how many tonnes of coal do they burn on standby?

A surprising amount, they cannot just switch the coal burning on and off, they have to be kept ticking over. It takes days to fire them up and days to shut them down - but there are not many left, when I last looked.

Have you ever worked in a power station?

So if you are Elton,the Royal family or v rich, fly where the fek you like,how you like,pay a few quid to offset carbon and thats fine...ferkin madness...oh, but preach to us about the "factory fortnight" annual holiday abroad.

And how many tonnes of coal do they burn on standby?

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/greta-thundberg.527896/page-6#ixzz5x98BGTGO
A surprising amount, they cannot just switch the coal burning on and off, they have to be kept ticking over. It takes days to fire them up and days to shut them down - but there are not many left, when I last looked.

Have you ever worked in a power station?
Coal is not used as standby for back up for wind turbines. Gas is, or we use connections with other countries.

The scientists on both sides are financed, just like our politicians. They all have an axe to grind, depending upon who pays the piper.
I look forward to your evidence for any of your climate related claims. I won't hold my breath.
Just look at the climate disaster prediction over the past few years, did any of it happen?
The one about hottest temperatures on record? Or the one about what will happen at the end of the century?

Some of you need to be much more sceptical when you read and research who might be backing the writer to do his research and make his predictions.
I never knew I had a built in irony detector until it just exploded.
They are awfully big corporations producing wind generators and solar panels, making vast profits. I have been on this earth long enough to know that the UK's local climate has always been wildly variant.
You should get one of your studies peer reviewed. Or something.

Even the IPCC allows voices that contradict the AGW narrative.

A surprising amount

but of course, nowhere near as much as when they are all fired up and generating to the max

especially now that most of them have at last gone out of service

...we use much more in the way of fossil fuels than had simply not bothered with the renewables.

I'd be interested, not to mention hugely entertained, to see you try to justify such tripe.

That is just a gesture. Is that boat carbon neutral, absolutely not! It will have a massive carbon footprint in its build process. Don't say the trip will not generate any carbon please - the boat already used a lot of carbon in its production, it has a limited life, then it will be scrapped and a new one built. Usage of the boat, uses up some of that finite life.

There isn't much which can be done in life, which is truly, deep down carbon neutral.
Did they build the boat just so she could go to a conference or are you clutching at straws?

Interesting stuff... looking up info about the boat, found this: https://tracker.borisherrmannracing.com/

The boat has travelled over 24444 miles. How much diesel would that have burned?

It is funny really. Ships were the first sustainable and green form of transport. Trees were grown specifically for ship building, then sails catch the wind and with that, we conquered the world.

No people are upset that some young lass in on a boat, rather than flying on a cheap airline or taking a diesel powered cruise liner.

Did they build the boat just so she could go to a conference or are you clutching at straws?

Would you be able to hire that boat for free, it cost to build and therefore costs in depreciation each time it is used. Someone has to pay for its building, its carbon footprint in its build, so each use of it it costs money and costs carbon.

Rather like the wind generators. They cost carbon to build, but then once built, generate for little actual environmental cost - so do you think you should get their power output for almost free?

You need to look at an overall costing picture. Do you buy your car, then instantly write off its purchase cost?

For interest and right at this instant, grid power sources - Coal = 2.34%; Nuclear = 16.96%; CCGT = 36.43%; Wind = 8.92% - rest are interconnector biofuel and hydro.

Solar isn't recorded.

No people are upset that some young lass in on a boat, rather than flying on a cheap airline or taking a diesel powered cruise liner.

I would not say I was upset, simply pointing out that a preacher of green ought to be green and beyond any criticism for using resources. To prove green credentials, really she ought to take a wooden boat and row it.

Would you be able to hire that boat for free, it cost to build and therefore costs in depreciation each time it is used. Someone has to pay for its building, its carbon footprint in its build, so each use of it it costs money and costs carbon.
So that's a "no" then, it wasn't built for her.

I also know people who have gone on large container ships to the US. Now such ships are dirty emitters, but they are going anyway, so the person's actual footprint is minuscule.
Rather like the wind generators. They cost carbon to build, but then once built, generate for little actual environmental cost - so do you think you should get their power output for almost free?
I have already told you about this.

Carbon footprint of a wind turbine is paid back in a few months. Why do I know this? I helped put a commercial scale one up, and see its output.

You need to look at an overall costing picture. Do you buy your car, then instantly write off its purchase cost?
You need to come up with some evidence.

For interest and right at this instant, grid power sources - Coal = 2.34%; Nuclear = 16.96%; CCGT = 36.43%; Wind = 8.92% - rest are interconnector biofuel and hydro.

Solar isn't recorded.
So you now agree that coal isn't used much these days. At least we're making some progress.

Still waiting for any evidence for any of your claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back