Grind back bricks rather than or before repointing? Is the quoted work worthwhile?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a builder come and take a look at the bricks below DPC on my detached 60s suspended floor property.

I asked if he thought it needed repointing and to quote the work if so.

He recommended grinding back the bricks severs inches (if i remember rightly) and then attaching cut bricks.

Can anyone comment on this? The bricks above DPC seems to be fine and appear to be of a different type. I don't want to spend loads of money on something that doesn't need urgent attention. I was concerned the coming winter would lead to further damage.

Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 21.21.25.png

He also recommended putting some kind of resin on the raised pathway here in front of the house in addition to the adjacent wall being rebuilt or rendered.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 20.57.09.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 20.57.09.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
I'd just jetwash it, put some sort of sealant on and forget it.

There are one or two you could replace, but you won't get a good colour match and it's definitely not going to fall down within anyone's lifetime.

Unless I'm missing something it all sounds like justifying taking a load of money off you.

I'd just jetwash it, put some sort of sealant on and forget it.

There are one or two you could replace, but you won't get a good colour match and it's definitely not going to fall down within anyone's lifetime.

Unless I'm missing something it all sounds like justifying taking a load of money off you.
What sort of sealant?

Don't waste your money. Even the clean is optional. You could actually help that along by spraying or brushing it with a biocide, such as decking or path clear.

That person is touting for work - work which I'm sure he would love to do and charge handsomely for the privilege.

Sponsored Links
Was this all the result of a cold call? If so then don't listen to a word they say.

I was assuming you were concerned about the appearance, hence the suggestion of jetwashing. If you're happy with it cosmetically then nothing would be the best course of action.

Any decent jetwashing company would be able to advise on biocides and/or sealants. I wouldn't put sealant on the wall below DPC, as it may trap moisture in and/or end up going white. It would help the paving to stay clean though.

Was this all the result of a cold call? If so then don't listen to a word they say.

I was assuming you were concerned about the appearance, hence the suggestion of jetwashing. If you're happy with it cosmetically then nothing would be the best course of action.

Any decent jetwashing company would be able to advise on biocides and/or sealants. I wouldn't put sealant on the wall below DPC, as it may trap moisture in and/or end up going white. It would help the paving to stay clean though.
I asked them to come and look to see if work needed doing to price up if so.

Don't waste your money. Even the clean is optional. You could actually help that along by spraying or brushing it with a biocide, such as decking or path clear.

That person is touting for work - work which I'm sure he would love to do and charge handsomely for the privilege.
The quote came back as £675 to

Raking out of all bed joints to a minimum of 25mm• Repointing with fresh mortar below DPC in front and side elevations• Joints to be raked out of existing patio slabs on front and re-filled• Small concrete strip taken out and re-filled with fresh concrete to front of house

Quite simply, no.
Jetwash the concrete yourself, and the side wall if you want. As said, you can use a biocide if you wish, then apply a sealer to the concrete. I've seen walls in a much, much worse state than yours, (you should see the property I am renting at the moment), but there have been no issues with the structure or damp etc.
By inviting someone to come to look at something, and then ask them to quote if they think it needs doing, is simply giving them an open opportunity to fleece some money off you for minimal effort.

Quite simply, no.
Jetwash the concrete yourself, and the side wall if you want. As said, you can use a biocide if you wish, then apply a sealer to the concrete. I've seen walls in a much, much worse state than yours, (you should see the property I am renting at the moment), but there have been no issues with the structure or damp etc.
By inviting someone to come to look at something, and then ask them to quote if they think it needs doing, is simply giving them an open opportunity to fleece some money off you for minimal effort.

Thanks. Any particular etiquette to use to turn down the quote?

Thanks. Any particular etiquette to use to turn down the quote?
It is always nice to contact firms who quote for work and who you won't be using, and tell them that you will not accepting their quote.

You do not have to give a reason, but if a quote is too high, you may want to tell them that as it can help their pricing for future quotes.

Don't get into any debate though, or be drawn into reasons or negotiations. Be firm and succinct.

Or you could thank them for their quote but, due to an unexpected fault with your car/wifes car you have been landed with a big bill and can't afford to proceed with the work at this time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back