grommets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if having no grommets on back box's is a failure on a part P inspection

thanks

Sponsored Links
You mean you didn't fit grommets?
I would think it is a fail point.

Sponsored Links
AFAIK if the cables are plastered into the wall, and can't move then it is OK (although shoddy wokmanship)

If the cables are in studwork or there is movement on the cables then a grommet must be fitted.

My Aunt asked me to fit them as someone failed an inspection on it,
Well that and no sticker on CU.

I was surprised and wanted to check up.

Safer i know, but a little harsh?

I read it completely the wrong way, I thought you were being inspected by a firm such as the NICEIC etc.
The gromets are there to stop the cable fraying on the normally sharp edge of a back box, if the grommets are not in revealing a sharp edge then the inspector can fail it as it has not been installed to bs7671.

Me too,

brightspark123, as there is no such thing as a P Part inspection, can you elaborate on your post?

Who carried out the inspection and what was the purpose of the inspection etc.

My Aunt has had a new kitchen extension.
The company used there own sparks. (yet went bust straight after)
So she didn't get a DEIC

She went to renew her house insurance and was told she had to have a completion certificate.

She called her local council who sent out PL Taylor to inspect the work. Who are NICEIC reg.

They failed the inspection on no grommets on back box's,
No sticker to say two colour wiring (rather then put one on) and a couple of other bits.

So she asked if i would put them on so she could get it sorted.

++++++++++++
Moderator's note:

I have deleted your duplicate post

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++

i'd just put the grommets in, leaving them out is at best very sloppy and at worst dangerous (if the cables can move arround and hit the sharp edges).

as for the sticker any electrical wholesalers should be able to supply one.

For the purpose of your Aunts house insurance the PIR will be fine.

PL Taylor were right to note the deviations but they are so minor your Aunts insurance company will ignore them.

I'm not sure if a you can say an installation has failed a PIR because it's tested to regulations that may not have been in place when the installation was carried out.

For example, when the 17th is introduced we will all be testing to the 17th so 99.9 of installations will have deviations because they are new regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back