Grout starting to crack already

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced some tiles and stuck them down and re-grouted with "fix and grout" that comes in a tube. It acts as adhesive and grout.I did this a week before Christmas and already cracks in the grout are showing as if shrinking. Do I just keep re-filling/skimming or is this type of grout in a tube no good ?

Also, I went over mouldy grout with this after removing a little of the surface. I say a little as those jagged tools you buy don't really cut into the old grout very well and takes an eternity. Already the white is turning dark because it seems underneath the mould is starting to show. I would have thought that cutting off oxygen with the new layer would have killed it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry but I'm afraid you are learning the hard way, unfortunately.....that sort of grout is really grot, and the best stuff is that which is mixed from a powder - wasteful although that may be! Powder grout dries by chemical reaction, rather than by air. Best to scrape it out I think - maybe using a Stanley knife - and redo it.
Removing old grout is one of those jobs where you will lose the will to live......do what you can and then go over with the proper grout (using a proper grout tool or sponge.)
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back