Growth on Roof- seeking advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

As you can see from the pictures there is substantial growth on the roof.

I'm not sure if the growth on the tiles is a problem or not? I'm guessing the growth and mud that seems to have appeared on the side of the roof window gulley is a problem or it would become a probelm with time?

The other side of the roof is fine so I'm not sure why this side of the roof is like this?

Below where I've taken these pictures I was able to put my hand out of the window and remove a handful of a mud like substance and some plants that were growning in the gulley. The bits higher up will be more of an issue to clear. Has the tiles/UPVC stuff been installed incorrectly and is this causing the problem? Is it something I should rectify?

The roof is on top of the 4th floor so getting out and doing anything isn't really an option without scaffolding. I've been able to scrape away growth around the window with a knife but dealing with other parts will be harder to get to.

Sponsored Links
one of the pics makes the roof look a shallow pitch, water runs off slower stays wet longer (probably north ele too)
The moss will grow.
The roof covering is cement fibre slate.. there is nothing that can be done other than flick off the big bits. dont scrape the slates in anyway. they are surface coated
The slates are not fitted incorrectly.

You can get some yellow stuff from Wickes for a fiver that you spray on with a garden sprayer. It kills the moss and the rain washes it away.

The worst of the crap is up the sides of the dormer, you can obviously lean out to take the photo, get a long handled hoe and scrape most of it of.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back