Grunfos pump replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My current pump is a Grunfos 15-50 x 18 and its on its way out, it was noisy anyway but after stripping it down and removing numerous insect carcasses and a rusting screw from the blades :eek: it is really grumbling now.
The only issue i have is that grunfos do not do this model anymore so can anyone tell me which one i will need to replace it with, the system is a y plan with a Myson economist boiler.

Sponsored Links
You will have to fit a 130mm long pump with a spacer to fill the 50mm gap.

You can either get a Grundfos Selectric 15-50, or if you want one which will use less electricity, a Grundfos Alpha 2 (or 2L) 15-50.

can you buy the spacers of the shelf?. I take it the alpha is quite a bit more expensive so how long does it take to regain the extra cost in energy savings.

Ah! Well that rather depends how far out of warranty it gets, if our experience is to go by.

Sponsored Links
Given the age of the boiler.
Replace the system with a modern system boiler.

Any pump will be fine you will just need to adjust the piping. This won't be
a problem.

can you buy the spacers of the shelf?. I take it the alpha is quite a bit more expensive so how long does it take to regain the extra cost in energy savings.

Pump adapters are readily avialable from any plumbing shop.
The Alpha will cost more.

I personally don't think you need to replace the boiler and system / or install a system boiler just becuase you need a new pump.

Just fit a standard pump & alter the pipework as necessary , no big deal , around 1/2 hrs work. :rolleyes: , pump valves will have had it in any case.

I mean they dont last as long as the less efficient non electronic UPS 15-50 etc

I mean they don't last as long as the less efficient non electronic UPS 15-50 etc
Are you talking about the old Alpha and Alpha+ or the newer Alpha2 and Alpha2L?

How many (approximately) have you installed and how many have failed?

Why would you need spacers to change this pump. Surely the 15-50/18 is 130mm port to port and is a straight swap with most of their domestic pumps.
Use the Selectric 15-50.

Why would you need spacers to change this pump. Surely the 15-50/18 is 130mm port to port and is a straight swap with most of their domestic pumps.
The "18" implies a 180mm long pump. It may be an old Series 4 pump which was 180mm long.

Perhaps the OP would post a pic of the data plate on the front of the pump?

If you use the Grundfos pump replacement guide,
It lists the 15-50 18 as 130mm port to port. Strange :?:

Just because the pump has failed you need a new Boiler as well??????
Blimey mate why not go all the way and Demolish the House and Buid a new one!! :p P.S. to you work for BG?? :eek:

P.S. the 15/50-18 is 130mm (use a tape measure between the unitons to confirm before starting work :idea:

If you use the Grundfos pump replacement guide,
It lists the 15-50 18 as 130mm port to port. Strange :?:
I couldn't find it in Webcaps, but now I have! It's listed as the UPS 15-50 X18.

As you say, it's 130mm long - confusing. So there's no need for a spacer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back