GT1 application

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have filled in the GT1 form incorrectly and it was sent back to me. On the section "SPEV=" I entered "40000kWh per year" but they need "what the maximum hourly gas load will be (with all the appliances working at the same time)".

I have historical data on my gas consumption over the years and it seems during the cold winter of 2015, I spent 5,400kWh in 30 days. Assuming each day the boiler was on for 16 hours and during that time it was on for about 75% of the time, therefore 16 * 0.75 * 30 = 360 hours on, which works out as 15kWh per hour.

Could anyone please tell me if this is a good approximation?

Sponsored Links
which works out as 15kWh per hour.
That load of 15kW which if the gas transporter accepted as being the maximum supply required and set the supply up to that then you would not be able to use a boiler greater than 15kW

Just tell them 60kWh

Would that be a supply capable of running 60 kW for one hour or a supply capable of running 1 kW for 60 hours ( or 1 W for 60,000 hours )

Sponsored Links
It's (roughly) the max size of a standard domestic supply. No point going any smaller. No point going any bigger unless the OP has anything huge going in. Which is doesn't appear to be the case.

Ah wait, I am building an annexe which will have a combi boiler to feed 3-4 radiators and HW of course, and maybe a gas hob. My small house already has like 11 radiators, I believe a 30kW boiler, and a gas hob. Can I run the annexe from the same gas supply? I filled in the GT1 so I can find out.

It's (roughly) the max size of a standard domestic supply. No point going any smaller. No point going any bigger unless the OP has anything huge going in. Which is doesn't appear to be the case.
What bernardgreen was getting at I think (bernard, correct me if I'm wrong) is that 60kWh is a measure of energy, not power.

I assumed it was a rhetorical question. :rolleyes:

OP - You'll be pushing it.

4 ring hobs are around 9kW.

In which case tell them 80kW to give you headroom for ranges, wok burners and a gas fire or two.

Does help to know these things up front dude.

At this moment in time all I want to do is move the gas meter to the annexe, but somehow they talked me into filling the GT1 form.

In which case tell them 80kW

I told them 100kW.

Boiler is 30kW, hob is 10kW = 40kW.
Annexe boiler 30kW + hob 10kW = 40kW

Grand total 80kW, I said 100kW.

What bit of "in their entirety" don't you understand? With your propensity for posting bullschit on topics you don't understand I would be shutting the phluck up if I were you.

What bit of "in their entirety" don't you understand? With your propensity for posting bullschit on topics you don't understand I would be shutting the phluck up if I were you.
bernardgreen wrote "Would that be a supply capable of running 60 kW for one hour or a supply capable of running 1 kW for 60 hours ( or 1 W for 60,000 hours )" How hard is it read that in its entirety? You clearly missed the point, that kWh is energy, not power. What have I said here about something I don't understand? It looks like I know more than you do about units of power and energy. Can't you just admit you were wrong? Instead you go into your default abusive mode. I'm out of this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back