GU10 lamp exploding !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newby on here btw 20 years a spark.

Just wondered if any other sparks or joe public have had problems with GU10 lamps literally exploding, I recently bought some GE 50w and withing a matter of hours of use one had exploded showering my little un with glass and red hot metal shards from the filament, wondered if it was a one off or if there may be a potential duff batch in circulation.

Sponsored Links
I use only Osram, and I've never see one do that. Could it have been splashed with any liquid?

No, track mounted in my kitchen on illuma track well away from any liquids or damp / moisture, simply turned on and approx 10 - 15 seconds later BANG

I recently bought some GE 50w and withing a matter of hours of use one had exploded...
No, track mounted in my kitchen on illuma track well away from any liquids or damp / moisture, simply turned on and approx 10 - 15 seconds later BANG
I don't understand this discrepancy - was it seconds, or hours? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I've seen an MR16 do it. It was a crompton lamp IIRC, and it exploded within maybe 5 minutes of being installed. It was brand new out of the box.

I've been in the trade 10 years, and only ever seen 1 lamp do it. I think it was just a one off freak fault.

I remember all these years ago when i was an apprentice a similar problem with lv downlighters but the problem there was the front glass started to drop out as the glues they were using werent upto the job... any one else remember that one ?

That is the first one ive had literally explode some others I have had have popped rather voilently, since the exploding incident I have now changed to megaman low energy lamps.

Father in law had a candle bulb shoot across the room when he turned the light on, he came down first thing in the morning switched the light on and the bulb exploded and fired the glass across the room. He was half awake and sh1t himself :LOL:

Like most others when I have to fit these awful things I only use Osram.

As you have seen this is why.

maxim_1.jpg

Made quite a bang as I remember.

Handling the lamp with bare fingers when installling can be a cause of premature lamp failure. Deposits from the finger react with the hot material and seed crystal growth in the quartz which creates weakness in the envelope leading to structural collapse. Oxygen meeting white hot filament can result in violent combustion of the filament

Indeed, but the quartz envelope in GU10s is safely sealed away inside the outer glass envelope, so that's not the cause...

Sudden gusts of cool air as might be caused by opening a door or window could contribute to the lamp exploding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back