Guardtec 500 alarm system - replace keypad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We have a 20 year old wired alarm system which works well but the Guardtec 550 keypad display is going. How easy is it for a competent DIYer to replace the control unit for one bought on line please? The alarm company want to charge £550 but you can buy a new alarm keypad online for less than £100. Many thanks in advance for any advice? Roger

Sponsored Links
New keypad …..no ….new panel and keypad yes …what alarm panel are you looking to replace it with ?

What are they fitting for £550?
New keypad I think not !
New control panel, what type.
Complete upgrade of existing system, new panel ,detectors ,etc.

Last edited:
Everything works fine other than the keypad, so I would just want to replace the control panel and connect it via existing wiring to the PIRs, door switch and smoke alarm. Can you recommend a control panel please? Thanks. Roger

Sponsored Links
BA02F131-29CD-44D5-81F0-C069FDE40A30.png Plus new battery 2.8 or 7.0

Many thanks Sparkymarka. Will it be obvious when I disconnect the old keypad how to connect the new keypad? Really appreciate all of your help.

The Euro mini keypad will NOT work with your gardtec control panel.What Sparkymark has recommended is a complete new control panel and keypad.

Thanks for the clafirication @Handymanjo - much appreciated . So if I purchase a Euromini control panel as he suggests (at less than £100 by the looks), how simple will it be to connect the exiting wiring from the sensors etc. into the new control panel? Thanks again

I am reasonably competent. I guess the issue will be which wires go where but I can mark them up as I take them off the old control panel and hopefully match them up with terminals on the new one.

Take a few photo's of the wiring in the control panel. Ensure you can read the terminal connection in the photo.

If your going to wire it as per the old guard Tec and use a common global tamper ….stick the white label on the bottom of the euromini PCB or you will get confused with the wiring …

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back