Alarm keypad failed. Help to replace.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I've got a failed keypad for our alarm system. Everything else is working fine plus there is another keypad that is also working.

I have a feeling that it failed due to lighting a while ago but am only getting round to looking at this now.

Attached is a photo of the unit.

IMG_4199.JPG

Can someone please talk me through the process to replace?

Many thanks,

Devs.

Sponsored Links
Ebay > Texecom Veritas Keypad £27

Firstly I would check voltage at the keypad, should be about 12v.

Secondly I would swap the two keypads to see if the fault follows the keypad, this will prove its the keypad or cable at fault.

sound advice.

if the keypads are the same ie,the other keypad is another remote led keypad rather than part of the main control panel, I would be surprised the lightening didn't take them both out as somewhere along the line they are connected together.

Perfect thanks for the help. Do I need to power anything down prior to swapping? Also trust there will be no reprogramming needed when I replace? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
just need to make sure the address is the same as the unit you replace, if it needs replacing.

its always best to down power, if your panel has glass fuses you could just pull the keypad fuse, if you have it live, you may short the new keypad out if its shorted against a component.

Thanks very much for the help. I hope to make some time today to have a look.

Cheers,

Devs. :)

Update.

Okay I've swapped the two keypads over and for some reason they are both working for me now :)

However I've noticed that when I try and arm the alarm prior to leaving the house it doesn't actually set but continues to cheep. One of the zone lights is permanently displayed as red on the keypad and when I checked in that room the PIR is permanently active with the red light being displayed. I trust this is the reason that the system will not arm? How do I fix this?

Many thanks again,

Devs.

Thanks for that, would you mind explaining how I power it down? Cheers, Devs

I've removed the blue and white wires for Z6 within the control unit but the PIR still appears red. Trust I should be doing something else to power the sensor down? Thanks.

firstly what led is illuminated on the keypad (6)?

removing wires from a zone doesn't doesn't down power the pir, remove the pos or neg from the power terminals that the detector is wired into.

before that you could of started the arming process and omit 6 prog to see if the system started setting. If it was 6 led that was illuminated.

Hello mate and thanks for the reply. Yes its zone 6 with the issue. I'm not sure where the pos or neg are for zone? Below is a photo of what I can see:

IMG_4212.JPG

The red or the black in the aux , below the remote keypad fuse
Post picture of pir with the led on , if it's a Pyronix colt/ magnum replace it

Many thanks I powered down the PIR and reinserted the wires and it just came back on red. Trust its a PIR replacement. see below:

IMG_4215.JPG

When I'm replacing this I trust I just remove the fuse and replace.

Many thanks.

There is no fuse ....just remove the positive wires in the aux , never seen a reflex led stick on , have seen a medusa with the led on , I would check the voltage at the detector as you have had a keypad issue , it may be a voltage problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back