Gyproc Easy-Fill, ProMix, Joint Fill vs Wickes Ready Mixed Jointing Compound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've used Wickes ready mixed jointing compound in the past. I've found that very good and when it dries it seems water resistant so it doesn't soften and come off it you get it wet again (i.e. when painting or stripping). I've never used Gyproc easy-fill or Promix/Joint filler AFAIR. I have used a product many years ago that soften when wet which may have been joint filler I can't remember. What is Easy-fill like to use? Does it set hard and water proof (i.e. like a a plaster)? Anyone used wickes ready mix and gyproc easy fill? and can compare them.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've always used Lafarge pre mixed, dries nice and quick, doesn't shrink and sands up ok, not as fine a finish as easifill though. to be honest I hardly ever do any drylining though

I've always used Gyproc Ready Mix Joint Cement, works out more expensive to use but dries nice and quick, doesn't shrink and sands up amazingly smooth and to a feathers edge.

I tried one bag of Easy-fill and didn't get on with it as it was quite resistant to sanding compared to the Gyproc Ready Mix.

+1 for Gyproc joint cement its my filler of choice.
I used it to fill my kitchen walls after a cowboy plasterer had made a mess of them and have devised a way of using it that requires very little sanding.
litl

Sponsored Links
Do tell how :).
Ok not too difficult, First start spreading the filler and if it starts to dry too much to spread thinly have a fine mist sprayer handy to wet it a little.
Once the filler is on let it dry but not enough too be rock hard...then mist spray over it and work/rub the surface in circular motion with a grouting float until the surface becomes fluid enough to spread again .the high spots will then fill the low and the edges will feather right out...repeat as necessary.
I expect professionals will frown on this method but I now have super smooth walls which is a darn site more than I had when I paid a so called professional to do it in the first place.
litl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back