H&S courses??

no not really,im lead to believe that the only people who can actually work off of a ladder are window cleaners,anybody else that has to work off of 1 for long periods of time then should have a platform.a lot of the course is common sense but it contradicts itself aswell,
also if you are told by your guvnor to go up a ladder and work this isnt allowed but a 1 man jobbing builder may get away with it.

as i said contradicts itself.

Sponsored Links
I would say you definitely need a course on ladder handling, when you consider how many people are killed on site let alone those confined to a wheel chair for the rest of their lives.

I had a H&S lecture many moons ago.

I was working on the roof and a mate that works for the fire brigade popped up to see me, he used the rungs for his hands instead of sliding his hands up the parallel vertical bars, so even the professionals can get it wrong, the reason being, if you're on site, and you clamber up the ladder after a team of brickies the chances are the rungs are caked in mud or in a residential street, there's always someone who stands in cats or doggy poo, not nice to grab hold of, also by sliding your hand on the sides, you never actually loose contact with the ladder.

To summarize, if you have not been shown, you do not do it!!

Firefighters are trained to use the Rungs of a ladder for their Hands, They are called "Rounds" in the Fire Service, and to go up a ladder its Right Hand, Right Foot, Left Hand Left Foot so one is evenly balanced

Holding onto the Vertical Bars ("Strings" in Fire Fighting Terms) means one can slip and swing away from the ladder.

One day they will probably see sense and change their tactics, you never know, they might even be allowed to use step ladders.. :confused:

If you climb a ladder whilst holding summat in one hand, then to climb using the rungs means removing your other hand from the ladder.

Always slide your hand up the side rail. Anything else ie downright dangerous!

Obviously firefighters use their teeth to carry objects or have enough time to stowe stuff away before hand. :rolleyes:

How does a one handed bloke climb a ladder whilst using the rungs as opposed to the side rail? Does he make quick dangerous grasps at the next rung. FFS!

I've never heard owt so daft.

I was working on the roof and a mate that works for the fire brigade popped up to see me, he used the rungs for his hands instead of sliding his hands up the parallel vertical bars, so even the professionals can get it wrong, the reason being, if you're on site, and you clamber up the ladder after a team of brickies the chances are the rungs are caked in mud or in a residential street, there's always someone who stands in cats or doggy poo, not nice to grab hold of, also by sliding your hand on the sides, you never actually loose contact with the ladder.

That's how your supposed to do it, the reason being if your foot slips and you start going down, you've no chance of holding onto a vertical style with grip alone, even with both hands but if even one hand is on the rung you'll definitely hold your weight long enough to get your foot back on.

I can't say I always use the rungs myself though, for the exact reason you gave, such is the reality of working environments.

Sponsored Links
We should have a poll, only I don't know how to set one up. Rung or side rail?

If you climb a ladder whilst holding summat in one hand, then to climb using the rungs means removing your other hand from the ladder.

Always slide your hand up the side rail. Anything else ie downright dangerous!

Obviously firefighters use their teeth to carry objects or have enough time to stowe stuff away before hand. :rolleyes:

How does a one handed bloke climb a ladder whilst using the rungs as opposed to the side rail? Does he make quick dangerous grasps at the next rung. FFS!

I've never heard owt so daft.

A Combination of Ladder Drills by firefighters, including carrying equiptment aloft, and leg lock on ladder.

Thank you Lads interesting thread for me to read and take note :)
So from what I can gather replacing a flourecent tube from the top of a set of high ladders is not allowed on h&s grounds.
And as I would only ever need ladders to do this a ladder course would be totaly usless I think.
As for pat testing well I think there are other ways to keep a check on lightly used appliances eg hair driers, kettles and food mixers, as its not compulsary a visual monthly check would be safer.

Thanks Lads regards drgaz

i think they are probably covered by there own rules and regulations.

Even the Fire Brigade are now supposed to do a risk assessment when they arrive at an incident.
Perhaps that's why they let your house burn for a further ten minutes before getting the hoses out. ;) ;)

i think they are probably covered by there own rules and regulations.

Even the Fire Brigade are now supposed to do a risk assessment when they arrive at an incident.
Perhaps that's why they let your house burn for a further ten minutes before getting the hoses out. ;) ;)

An Insurance pay out can replace property, as yet it cant replace the life of a Firefighter !

An Insurance pay out can replace property, as yet it cant replace the life of a Firefighter !

Agree completely Boss, but surely they'd risk assess "on the fly" so to speak and not waste valuable time if a life were at stake ??
At the end of the day we all do a continual risk assessment whilst working (well at least we probably do it unconsciously) Usually in my case I think "If this chisel slips it could be painful." (a few seconds before it actually does slip and slices into my thumb/finger) ;) ;) ;)

next week im going on an asbestos course and tower scaffold course.
only been saying to the bosses over the years we should have these done and finally its happening. :rolleyes:

next week im going on an asbestos course and tower scaffold course.
only been saying to the bosses over the years we should have these done and finally its happening. :rolleyes:

I went on a health and safety asbestos course through work.

Interesting course, learning about the different asbestos types. But other than being told the importance of reporting it, seemed pretty much too late in the day for the people that have potentially drilled into it for the last 30 odd years without even knowing it.

According to some on the course we could all be drilling into it on a daily basis even now on some jobs.

Seemed pointless after that.

Sponsored Links
Back