Hairline cracks in old plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved into a 1930s home and started prepping the bedroom for decorating last week.

After removing an old fitted wardrobe, we were left with a half painted wall edged in silicone. On removing the silicone, sections of the paint came with it, so we decided to strip it entirely.

The old plaster has quite a lot of hairline cracks (pic below for ref). They weren't visible through the old vinyl paint, but we want to use a super matt so we're going to need to do something about them.

The plaster isn't crumbling, nor dusty, and it doesn't sound like it's hollow in any places, but I'm a mere DIY-er so not qualified to know if it's blown. It feels solid and uncompromised, save for the cracks!

Frankly, I feel like there are too many cracks to channel and fill. Does the wall need replastering or might there be an easier way to deal with them (I'm thinking a thick basecoat of some kind)...

Thanks!
IMG_20210809_144800.jpg

Sponsored Links
Realistically you have 2 options, replaster (skim coat) but they "might' come back.

Or lining paper the walls, then fill the joints and paint.

Where you fill the joints water a cheap white paint down and paint it as you would do with plaster to avoid seeing the filler in certain lights

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back