Hairspray/Hairgel for Pan connector to WC spigot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to fit my first toilet in the next week or so and just studying the steps involved before I jump in.
I've noticed in a number of videos that some form of lubrication is often recommended for the interface between the toilet spigot and pan connector to ensure a proper fit. Back in my mountain biking days, we used to fit bar grips by spraying a liberal coating of hairspray onto the inside of the grip, before sliding it onto the bar. The hairspray would initially act as a lubricant, making it simple to fit and position the grip, and would then set, acting as an adhesive to lock the grip in place and prevent movement.
Would a similar approach be appropriate for fitting the WC connector? I don't see why it would be an issue, but I'd love some input from folk with significantly more experience than me!

Ta.

Sponsored Links
Well, if it worked in that manner on shiny handlebars, I see no reason why it shouldn't do the same on shiny porcelain.

The last two multikwik pan connectors I purchased came with a sachet of stuff to be used when installing. I just cant remember what it was.

Shouldn't need anything, just make sure the toilet spigot and seal is nice and clean and shiny and make sure the connector seats right up to the shoulder of the pan spigot and you won't have any issues. You might need a bit of lube on the fins to fit the connector into the soil pipe as they are usually a tight fit. If there's an issue getting it into the soil pipe then soak the finned end in hot water to soften up the fins and then a very small amount of silicone grease on the inside lip of the 110mm soil pipe and it should slip in. Try and get all the fins inside the pipe, if not then try and leave no more than one outside the pipe to ensure it stays nice and dry. Always try to ensure it's as square on as possible to the pan and the outlet and have a suitable amount of fall.

Sponsored Links
Always try to ensure it's as square on as possible to the pan and the outlet and have a suitable amount of fall.

The soil pipe is located in the floor directly below/behind the toilet, so gravity is very much on my side in that regard! My primary concern is ensuring that the pan to pan connector connection is solid. I'm yet to build the cabinet for the cistern and offer the toilet up, however It's almost certainly going to be a 90°/Swan Neck connector and I assume it's going to be an absolute b*tch to get to once everything is in and adequately sealed up, so I just want to make sure everything is as secure as possible beforehand
The original toilet was a late '70s/early '80s baby blue Armitage Shanks rear outlet job, so I'm reasonably optimistic that there shouldn't be too much bodging involved getting the new one connected in the same location!

I plan to fit my first toilet in the next week or so and just studying the steps involved before I jump in.
I've noticed in a number of videos that some form of lubrication is often recommended for the interface between the toilet spigot and pan connector to ensure a proper fit. Back in my mountain biking days, we used to fit bar grips by spraying a liberal coating of hairspray onto the inside of the grip, before sliding it onto the bar. The hairspray would initially act as a lubricant, making it simple to fit and position the grip, and would then set, acting as an adhesive to lock the grip in place and prevent movement.
Would a similar approach be appropriate for fitting the WC connector? I don't see why it would be an issue, but I'd love some input from folk with significantly more experience than me!

Ta.
Do you want it to set, which would make any future removal a problem? Silicone grease is the obvious answer, you can buy a tube if it didn't come with the pan, as per Sonic70.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back