Hall light has two brown and two blue cables (Spain)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
3 light switches. 2 Light bulbs separate ends of hall way in a flat in Spain: Light Y and light socket X. The cables are hanging loose light socket X, I just want to put a bulb socket and bulb in place.

Light Y has just 1 brown (live) and 1 blue (neutral). However the other light, light X, has 2 Brown and 2 blue cables. Light Y has a socket and bulb in place but it isn't turning on. I think it is because Light X has no bulb socket, they are haning loose.

My quesiton is regarding light X, should the two brown be joined together at the light bulb sockets live connection and the two blue together on the neutral connection, as if they were two cables going to the correct connectors?

It appears that the the two sets of cables are different and I assume one set go to the second light Y, but I cannot see to be sure.

Hope someone might be able to advise a newbe. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Firstly, I'm not an electrician, and haven't been one for over 30 years. So anything I say you'll have to make a judgement call.
Secondly, I'm only responding 'cos no-one else has.
If you are unsure about anything I say, do not attempt it but call an electrician! Anything you do, do it with great care. I'm assuming you're a competent DIYer.
A question worth asking before you begin is why is the light missing from light X, is it to hide a problem elswhere? Other DIYers may not be as diligent as you!
Remember the advice of the professionals, the shock may not kill you but the fall could do you some serious damage.

At a guess, and I agree with your deduction, you have 3 switches (used to be known as intermediate switches) controlling 2 lights. The reason why the lights are not working is because a) you have no light connected to light X and b) the cables are not joined so no power or neutral is available to light Y.
What I would do is:
check that none of the cables at light X are live, especially the brown cables, checking both switch positions on all the switches, . Check all the cables at light X while you're at it, just to be sure. Assuming you have one live cable at light X and any of the switches control this power to that cable. (If you have a permanent live at light X, do not continue the following but return with an update). Then connect a temporary light (you can make up a temporary light with a lampholder, incl a mains rated lamp, a short piece of two core flex, and a couple of connectors) accross this live brown cable and one of the blue cables, while the switch is off and the power is turned off at the distribution board/tableaux. (Whatever they call it in Spain)
Then turn on the power at the board and if the light does not work, try the switches.
If this still does not work, turn off all the power again and reconnect the neutral of the temporary light to the other blue cable. Turn on the power and try the switches again. Hopefully the light will work this time.
If it doesn't I would suggest the problem is beyond DIY resolution.
If the light does work, then I would connect the 2 browns together and the 2 blues, without installing light X, while the power is off, of course! Then try turning the power back on and trying the switches. Hopefully light Y will work. If it doesn't check the lamp is OK. If it still doesn't it's beyond DIY resolution.
Assuming that light Y works you can go ahead and install light X, with the power off, obviously.

Don't be afraid at anytime to accept that you cannot find the resolution and call in a professional. If the cables are not as you find them if/when the electrician calls tell him/her that you have changed the status quo, and how, otherwise it could mislead him/her.

Dear Redherring
Thank you very much for your reply. You provided the confidence boost and steps I needed and following your advice I now have the two lights working from all 3 wall switches. :D

It appears one brown wire had its own power source (along with its neutral) and the second pair of wires must connect to the second light (I assume above the ceiling and out of sight).

Thanks a lot!
Ambers.

Sponsored Links
Back