Hallway light switch - what goes where?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just replacing the hallway light switch.
When I removed the old one the two wires that aren’t connected in the photo fell out of their terminals so I don’t know where they go.

They control the upstairs light. The downstairs light works fine without the other wires attached. 709D029A-62FD-4500-A04B-5C2A1641B90E.jpeg

also, I’m fitting a metal replacement so I assume I need to run an earth to the switch itself from the box.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The earth conductors should go to the new switchplates earth terminal, add a flying earth link from there to the galvanised box's earth terminal.
Put both loose wires into seperate insulated terminal blocks ( so they do not connect to each other).
Put the power back on and see if the lower switch in your pic operates whatever light fitting it's controling ( is that the hall light )?
Tell us the result.

The earth conductors should go to the new switchplates earth terminal, add a flying earth link from there to the galvanised box's earth terminal.
Put both loose wires into seperate insulated terminal blocks ( so they do not connect to each other).
Put the power back on and see if the lower switch in your pic operates whatever light fitting it's controling ( is that the hall light )?
Tell us the result.

I’m going to try putting the old switch back on - judging from the length and position of the two exposed wires , I think they came out of L1 and L2 at the bottom of the switch (to the right of the photo - the switch is rotated).

Quite possibly. Does it control the landing light along with another ( two way switch) upstairs ?

Sponsored Links
Get the old switch working before you do anything.

Put the red in the bottom L1.

Put the black in bottom L2.

EDIT. You were going to anyway. Great minds and all that.

Yes, I’ve got the old switch working the Reds are both common and the Blacks are L1 (landing) and L2 (hallway).

On the new switch do I still need the jumper between the two commons?7A9451B5-83BC-406E-81FE-B12D7ECFACEF.jpeg

Yes, I’ve got the old switch working the Reds are both common and the Blacks are L1 (landing) and L2 (hallway).

On the new switch do I still need the jumper between the two commons?View attachment 216558
Look at the first picture.

The stray red goes in the empty L1 at the bottom of the switch.
The stray black goes in the empty L2 at the bottom of the switch.

And yes, you need to keep the red jumper wire as it is.

You need to get the old switch working again before you fit the new one. You need to check the landing light works correctly, in conjunction with the other switch you will have on the landing.

Your description in post 6 does not sound correct to me.

Look at the first picture.

The stray red goes in the empty L1 at the bottom of the switch.
The stray black goes in the empty L2 at the bottom of the switch.

And yes, you need to keep the red jumper wire as it is.

when I just tried it, the stray red worked in the common and the black in L1.
L2 on the bottom has never been used - it’s shiny and the screw is where you’d expect it to be from new.

I’m not saying it’s right but it worked. 7F466709-7CC6-4B85-A823-D3E4ABA60A85.jpeg

I'll try it again as suggested - Red L1 at the bottom and Black L2 at the bottom.
Red to common at the top and black to L2 at the top as it was previously.

L2 looks shiny with a loose screw.

L1 looks burnt with a tight screw and possibly a snapped off wire sticking out of it. A poor connection causes this blackness.

I assume you have another switch upstairs which also controls the landing light. (ANSWER THIS, it will help.)

Looks like you have completely removed the old switch. (Might not help.)

L2 looks shiny with a loose screw.

L1 looks burnt with a tight screw and possibly a snapped off wire sticking out of it. A poor connection causes this blackness.

I assume you have another switch upstairs which also controls the landing light. (ANSWER THIS, it will help.)

Looks like you have completely removed the old switch. (Might not help.)

Yes, switch upstairs controls the upstairs landing light.
The switch upstairs has one wire coming down into it and two coming up.

Use the first picture to help you. You don't want to mix the wires up, as it will not work properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back