Halogen bulbs - short life to be expected?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since fitting 3 bulb ceiling lamps in my hall and landing (2 in the hall, 1 on the landing) I've noticed the bulb life seems really cr@p. Over 2 years now.

These fittings take 3 GU10 240V 50W bulbs each. I seem to be getting through bulbs at a silly speed, changing about 1 a week. So roughly each one is lasting 9 weeks.

The hall ones are on for about 3 - 4 hours a day max. The landing one is only on for max 30 mins a day - these ones do seem to go less frequently.

I've tried branded and shed's own brand with no difference.

Is this the expected life of these things or could there be another problem?

Only ask because the previous "standard" 100W bayonet bulbs seemed to last forever.

Thanks
Graham

Sponsored Links
Can you measure the voltage at the lampholders?

If the hall lights are on for 3 hours at a time - ie. they aren't frequently switched, try CFL lamps. They will last longer, and dont dim when you turn on the shower. :D

GUCFL9X.JPG

As you can see they are 2cm longer, and may not fit all luminaires (without looking silly), but they spread their light so much better and wider, so appear brighter. About 5 times longer quoted life too
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...hts_Index/Downlights_Energy_Saving/index.html

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
and may not fit all luminaires (without looking silly),

I can't fit all luminaires without looking silly, either...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back