Halogen Downlighters - Sorry!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start doing up a flat to sell on. The place needs re-wiring completely and as part of this I will be dragging down the ceilings and installing new lighting circuits (Part P, Buildings Control Notification, EIC all taken into account!)...

The home buyer's choice are downlighters, so I'm going to have to put them in - I know you don't like it, but I need to sell this place when I've done!

Questions:

By the time I've bought the lights, transformers, fire hoods (or made some from plasterboard) and wires, I reckon I'm going to be looking at a few hundred quid per room - JUST FOR LIGHTS! Is this right?

Does each downlighter need to be wired to its own transformer, or can x amount be run from a single transformer? Anyone know where I could get a decent circuit diagram?

Why do the general public want what seems to be a massve pain in the arse?!

Sponsored Links
I had four downlights put in each of the bathroom and kitchen, I had four wired into one transformer. The transformer was only around £12 with the fire-rated downlights about £10 each.

simon

Swanny80 said:
By the time I've bought the lights, transformers, fire hoods (or made some from plasterboard) and wires, I reckon I'm going to be looking at a few hundred quid per room - JUST FOR LIGHTS! Is this right?
Yes. But don't buy lights and firehoods, buy lights with integral fire protection - not only cheaper but easier to fit.

Does each downlighter need to be wired to its own transformer, or can x amount be run from a single transformer?
Wisest choice is one Tx per light. Or use 230V lamps.

Anyone know where I could get a decent circuit diagram?

Read the post at the top of this forum - Read Here First - FAQ - For reference - plenty of diagrams there.

Why do the general public want what seems to be a massve pain in the a**e?
Because people are too stupid to have their own ideas and are desperate to be just like everybody else.

Sponsored Links
simon_t said:
I had four downlights put in each of the bathroom and kitchen, I had four wired into one transformer. The transformer was only around £12 with the fire-rated downlights about £10 each.

simon

Thanks All
Simon, any recommendations on where to buy?

Swanny80 said:
simon_t said:

simon

Thanks All
Simon, any recommendations on where to buy?

I would recommend buying smaller transformers and have one for each light. A few pounds each. Will work out the same but they are smaller, so if it ever needs replacing it will come out of the celing space easier. Oh, and don't buy fire hoods, just keep insulation away from the light.

To buy try any local wholesaler, or somewhere online like Screwfix.com

Good luck mate.

simon_t said:

Was this a Q&B style kit by any chance? You are virtually always limited to maximum 20W lamps in these downlighters as the Tx is rated to 80W (for a 4 lamp kit) to reduce the cost of the kit.

They are cheap for a reason.

Also if one Tx fails with a kit you lose all your lighting. With individual Tx's you would lose only one light. This will also be a cheaper fix.

TheGaffersSon said:
Oh, and don't buy fire hoods

But as you are doing a flat the downlighters may need to be fire resistant, and fire hoods are one way to achive this.

The transformers are JCC and so are the downlighters I think.

I am lucky enough to work for a company that designs and has manufactures display equipment (I'm the designer) so we often use electrical parts in the displays. So I was able to get most of the electrical parts in the house (switches, CU, sockets etc. cheapish)

The transformers are rated to carry four lights per units and it probably is 20w per light. You are correct about losing all the lights should the transformer packup. But you pays your money and...

RF Lighting is quite right But as you are doing a flat the downlighters may need to be fire resistant, and fire hoods are one way to achive this.

Look at Building Regs Part B ref Fire Stopping. The ceilings will be the fire barrier between the dwellings and must be protected if you make swiss cheese out of it. This means firehoods or integrated fire fittings for the downlights and also proper fire protection if you stuff cables through and into the void between dwellings.
Oh yes, I think you now have to ensure that you do not degrade the sound proofing between the properties too.

Say after me "I hate downlights. I hate downlights.I hate downlights.I hate downlights.I hate downlights.I hate downlights.I hate downlights.I hate downlights.I hate downlights.I hate downlights.I hate downlights.I hate downlights...................................."

Cheers for this...

The thing I can't understand is why bother with transformers when there are mains voltage lights available? Am I missing something obvious?

I can seem to get a fire and acoustic rated mains voltage light as below:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101162&ts=30036&id=69976

I can see no reason why I can't just wire these into the lighting circuit. Anyone have any objections?

It's personal choice. There is very little difference between the two although IMO SELV lighting is whiter and crisper than mains.

As you're selling/renting I would go for the easier option which is mains voltage as most of your viewings will be in daylight anyway.

Why even bother with them at all? Stick a rose/batten lampholder or flu (as appropriate) in each room and let them do it to their taste...

securespark said:
Why even bother with them at all? Stick a rose/batten lampholder or flu (as appropriate) in each room and let them do it to their taste...
yeah, put a fluorescent light in, dont screw it though. Weld it to something solid :LOL: - this will reduce the risk of them fitting downlighters. And where possible, use concrete ceilings :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back