halogen GLS replacements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As we know the EU are planning to ban conventional incandescents but apparently not halogens. There are some places where I really don't want CFLs. Changing fittings is not an option.

Some manufacturers have started making halogen replacements for incandescents. http://www.lightonenergy.co.uk/searchresults.asp?Search=osram+halogen&Search.x=0&Search.y=0 claims that the 28W osram units are equivilent to a 40W GLS and the 42W osram units are equivilent to a 60W GLS. They also claim double the lifetime of an ordinary GLS bulb

has anyone had any experiance with these? if so do they live up to the manufacturers claims?

Sponsored Links
Sooner they bring out a replacement for 100w bc the better then! My wife has banned cfl's from the house due to the time taken to come on, poor light output and ghastly light quality - and the fact they aren't as green as claimed anyway.

I know that the ban is an EU one, but what are the French doing? Normally we are the only country to slavishly follow all dictats from that mad, unelected body with the French picking and choosing to implement what suits them. Are they implementing this ban too?

David - please take your ridiculous europhobic views to the letter pages of the Daily Mail or to the other ranting lunatics in General Talk.

has anyone had any experiance with these? if so do they live up to the manufacturers claims?
Tried one - hated it. It had a very marked and uneven beam pattern with noticeable shadows.

Maybe the type of luminaire makes a difference though, and everyone's likes are different - I don't share any of David's wife's opinions on CFLs for example. SIAS I guess...

Sponsored Links
was the bulb you tried clear or frosted?
what style of fitting did you try it in.?

I have found that small enclosed fittings with the lamphoder at the top seem to kill CFLs pretty quickly my threory as to why is that the heat rises to the top of the fitting (where the holder and the electronic part of the CFL is and can't escape so it cooks the electronics.

I've got one of them new halogen lamps.

It looks just like a normal GLS lamp, and is pearl finished.

Inside there appears to be a lamp similar to a G9 lamp.

It is rated to 42W, but does seem as bright as a 60W GLS.

There seems to me to be no difference in the colour of the light, and no problems with shadows either.

They are quite expensive though.

I have a few Phillips CFLs in their boxes, all state they recommend to be mounted ballast up.

Throw 'em away, and I'll send you some GLS lamps absoloutly free of charge :D

The very finest Crompton lamps.

*This offer is open to residents of Yorkshire only, and limited to a maximum of 2 lamps per co-op employee. Your home may be at risk if you have indoor bonfires. Don't run with scissors.

They just say "made in europe"

They used to have a huge factory in the next town from me.

It's been demolished for houses now. :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back