halogen lights mysteriously stopped working when timer fan a

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please help? I bought a set of three 12v recessed lights for bathroom and shower form Wickes with one transformer for all three. Installed as per instructions and worked well. I then fitted an extractor fan through wall and connected it up with a three pole fused unit with a three amp fuse as this is what manufacturer requires. When I switched on lights the fan came on but the lights did not. When I turned off switch fan remained on timer. As it was late I took out fan alltogwther, connection unit, the lot and put lights back to normal but still no lights working. No switch has tripped in consumer unit, the fuse in connection unit is good and the bulbs all seem to be okay. Any ideas on what went wrong? How to fix it and prevent it happening again? Please.

Sponsored Links
Both, just kidding! There is a chance a cable has come loose, a screw is loose or the insulation is under the screw, stopping it from making a connection.

Sponsored Links
Can someone please help? I bought a set of three 12v recessed lights for bathroom and shower form Wickes with one transformer for all three. Installed as per instructions and worked well. I then fitted an extractor fan through wall and connected it up with a three pole fused unit with a three amp fuse as this is what manufacturer requires. When I switched on lights the fan came on but the lights did not. When I turned off switch fan remained on timer. As it was late I took out fan alltogwther, connection unit, the lot and put lights back to normal but still no lights working. No switch has tripped in consumer unit, the fuse in connection unit is good and the bulbs all seem to be okay. Any ideas on what went wrong? How to fix it and prevent it happening again? Please.
3 pole fused units dont exist. either a 3 pole switch, or a fused connection unit. there is no combination available off the shelf.

As this work is in a bathroom, have you notified your local council's building control, so they can come and inspect and test your work, as is required under Part P of the building regulations, which was introduced in 2005? I rather suspect if you had, you wouldn'tbne experiencing these problems now. As a guide, Doncaster Council charge about £100 for a standard electrical notification for minor work. This is legal stuff, and would have serious implications for your home insurance, were your house to burn down etc.

3 pole fused units dont exist. either a 3 pole switch, or a fused connection unit. there is no combination available off the shelf.

Would be handy if there were :)

Whatever you disconnected on the lighting circuit when you connected the fan is where your problem will be. Consider looking at the point where the lights and fan both meet. Most probably a cable has not been connected properly and has come out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back