Halogen Outside Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everybody

Seeking some advice from the pro's!

I have two 500w Tungsten halogen lights mounted on the side wall of my house and another two on the rear wall.

These lights are fed via high current relays and can be manually switched on from within the house - they are also interfaced to my alarm system.

The halogen tubes seem to need replacing fairly often. This entails climbing up a ladder. Since I am not in the first flush of youth, I would like to ask if I could replace the halogen lights with another type of light which would not require as much maintenance, but would give a similar level of illumination.

I am also considering modifying the interface with the alarm system. In the case of the alarm being triggered on, I propose to get the outside lights to switch on and off at a 4 second rate.

Would this reduce the life of the halogen tubes further?

I have worked for many years in electronics.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Do you ever touch the lamps with your bare fingers?

Are the lampholder contacts in good condition?

I would think flashing the lamps may well reduce their life, but not sure.

There isn't really much else that you can use to provide alot of instant light.

Do consider the lamps will need replacing four times as often as if you only had one luminaire. ;)

Dont get your lights to flash when the alarm sounds - thats just showing off, and would be a PITA if it was a false alarm (which probably 95% are). Your neighbours wouldn't be pleased. Sirens AND bright flashing lights. :rolleyes: And as you say it will probably reduce the life of the lamps.

Any grease on the lamps will cause a hotspot on the lamp. I cant remember the exact mechanics of it, but grease does reduce the life of halogen lamps. Even the smallest bit from a finger.

BLUEFUNNEL said:
I propose to get the outside lights to switch on and off at a 4 second rate.

Would this reduce the life of the halogen tubes further?

If your neighbours own an air rifle, almost certainly......... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Any grease on the lamps will cause a hotspot on the lamp. I cant remember the exact mechanics of it, but grease does reduce the life of halogen lamps. Even the smallest bit from a finger.

I believe it's the sweat from your skin which contains salt that reacts with quartz glass envelope causing oxidation

just as a matter of interest, the halogen cookers that use halogen lamps to cook / heat, the top that you rest the pots and pans on is made from quartz, spill sugar on it when its hot, the sugar will eat its way through it

breezer said:
just as a matter of interest, the halogen cookers that use halogen lamps to cook / heat, the top that you rest the pots and pans on is made from quartz, spill sugar on it when its hot, the sugar will eat its way through it
Really??? I'm going to get an induction hob :D

Crafty said:
Really??? I'm going to get an induction hob :D

They too have problems when used without due care and attention.

Certain types of pans do not work well if at all with induction hobs and I have been told that aluminium ones do not heat up unless there is a slab of steel put in the base.

The old fashion hot plate was a lot tougher and more general purpose friendly in my not so humble opinion.....

Crafty said:
breezer said:
Really???

Yes, really.

When i started at HP, i was an "aprentice" basicaly i went with an experianced engineer, and he was also trained in cookers, fridges, microwave cookers* (you start off with home laundry)

We had to change a halogen cooker "plate" (I dont know what its called, i only learnt home laundry) for that reason, the lady of the house said she was making jam and it boiled over and the result was she needed a new "plate" and its not covered under waranty, because it says something like dont use sugar on it.

* Microwave cookers are easy to "fix".

Stand it on the customers counter top, push it off the edge. hey presto it needs a new one.
Aparently they were re badged microwave cookers and it is chaper to replace them for any fault.

That will be why you don't see many HP ones about, other brands are cheaper, our new one cost around £30

BREEEZER:

IN MY COUNTRY WHEN ONE OFFERS THANKS FOR ADVICE GIVEN, ONE DOES NOT USUALLY GET A SMART ASS COMMENT IN RETURN.

SUGGEST THAT IF YOU CANNOT BE POLITE, YOU SHOULD REFRAIN FROM REPLYING AND LET PEOPLE WHO CAN BE MANNERLY OFFER ADVICE

bauerjan said:
BREEEZER:

IN MY COUNTRY WHEN ONE OFFERS THANKS FOR ADVICE GIVEN, ONE DOES NOT USUALLY GET A SMART ASS COMMENT IN RETURN.

SUGGEST THAT IF YOU CANNOT BE POLITE, YOU SHOULD REFRAIN FROM REPLYING AND LET PEOPLE WHO CAN BE MANNERLY OFFER ADVICE

If you were top read the rules you would understand, or are you just plain ignorant

Breezer:

Your comments speak for themselves.

Suggest that you have an exaggerated view of your own importance - in short, you appear to be on a permanent ego-trip.

I was of the opinion that the members of this forum, could have a corteous and friendly relationship.

It's a bit rich to be lecturing new members about a set of rules that they have unwittingly trangressed. It's much more appropriate and less aggressive to explain not to use 'capitals'.

It does us all no harm to have a little bit of 'humility'. People who use this forum can be quite expert in other fields and do not expect to be treated condescendingly when they make legitimate requests for advice.

Finally, I take exception to the word 'ignorant'. Perhaps, I am wrong but to me it smacks of racism.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back