Halogen to LED downlights ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I already have 12v mr16 downlights fiitted with each lamp having its own transformer.

My question: I want to change to GU5.3/MR16 LEDs.

(details taken from a transformer)
The transformer is SIYI
Mod J0102.
Prime 230/240v
Sec min 20 - max 60va
Thermal protected
Automatic resetting
Fully dimable
Prime 230/240v
Sec 11.6v

Can I fit LEDs in place of the halogen bulbs with these transformers or a transformer feeding 2 lamps, etc.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Probably not, the transformer minimum load is 20va, most LEDs are about 5W, so at least 4 per transformer would be required. Even then they may not operate correctly.

Given the amount of work involved to alter the wiring etc. to have multiple lamps for a single transformer, it is probably easier, quicker and cheaper to dispose of the transformers completely and fit mains voltage GU10 LEDs instead.

Hi, i have used philips led mr16's to replace12v halogen and used the existing transformers - no problems.

They are not cheap:rolleyes:

Regards,

DS

Transformers don't have a minimum load, so I suggest you don't have transformers but switch mode power supplies wrongly labelled as transformers.

But the advice to use 240 volt LEDs instead still applies.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

I have 12 - MR16 12v 35w down lamps in my kitchen. They are split 6 to one switch.

OK, so if I changed the 12 MR16 halogen lamps to GU10 LED lamps.

Roughly how long would it take to recover the expense in buying the new lamps with the saving in energy used by the LED's.

thanks

Roughly how long would it take to recover the expense in buying the new lamps with the saving in energy used by the LED's.

PS ignore Winston mutterings about transformers, his bonnet has a bee in it.:rolleyes:

NO. One of the reasons for these forums is to help people when they make mistakes. It is all part of the learning process.

LEDs can use approx 15% of the energy of halogens and can be bought for as little as a £ in Poundland. However you also have to factor in the cost of new fittings. A good plan is to replace with LED as each one fails.

I find cost quartz to LED is rather hard as they are not straight like for like. With 12 x 35W = 420W that is a lot of heat, so one would be looking at air conditioning units to remove that heat. Do you include the cost of the AC in the calculations? likely not, but you will likely include the benefit of living in a cooler room and also not having to renew the bulbs as often. But how does one allocate a cost to discomfort with hotter room or man hours changing bulbs?

The MR16 when converted to LED no longer is 16/8th inch across because it has cooling fins, the 2" round dots were small enough to start with so it really needs something to defuse the so it has a better spread. Pod type spot lights shining onto white walls can work well, but fixed shining onto darkish floors the room can look like a planetarium.

With LED lighting there is nothing to stop fitting flush mounted units 12" diameter rather than 2" as it does not need to get rid of the heat from the back of the lamp, using 12" rather than 2" means no need for diffusers to spread the light. So a light like this
philips-myliving-philips-twirly-29cm-ma-318143116-product-normal
will light the room far better than the silly spots for the same wattage. Exactly which lamp suits the room I don't know, but likely using larger size lamps instead of dropping 420W to 60W you could drop to 30W because of the spread of the light using 12" lamps. Also likely 2 or 3 fittings instead of 12.

Room lighting needs some design, just matching lumen is not enough, I used two standard lamps and two ceiling lamps in my living room mainly as I don't want to mess around in the ceiling space fitting extra lamps, plus the standard lamps are only used for reading, when watching TV I can just lean back and switch it off. My kitchen I have reduced the light in one half from 5800 lumen to 2400 lumen simply by swapping a fluorescent tube to a LED tube, but other side I need the extra light so fluorescent tube stays. The main reason the fluorescent tube light works so well is it's size, it's 5 foot long with a defuser on it so no corner is dark, great for kitchen, but would look horrid in a living room.

Using a standard five bulb fitting with the bulbs facing up so they reflect off the ceiling or with bits of glass to spread the light works well, remember most LED bulbs unlike the old tungsten shine very little light to the base of the bulb, so bulb facing up with a light coloured ceiling or down with a dark ceiling can really change how much the room is lit.

If you think about it and design your lighting to suit the room with a balance between looks and functionality you can get a really good result using LED lamps, but just throw it together and as one would expect the results are not as good.

My problem with LED lighting is the fixed colour of LED lighting, when dimmed it retains the same colour. With incandescent lamps reducing the voltage dims the lamp and the colour changes from bright white to a softer warmer orange / red glow. It is possible to do this with LED lighting but it requires at least two LED elements in the lamp. One white and one orange / red and some complex electronics to smoothly change from white to a warm glow.

Another concern is the consistancy of colour in different manufacturing batches of the same type of LED element. The colour of the light produced by a replacement LED lamp that is exactly the same type as the original lamp may not be exactly the same colour as that from the original lamp. If there is only one lamp in the room this difference is not a problem but if there are two or more lamps then the difference in colour between old and new can be enough to be obvious to the extent of being un-acceptable.

Thanks all,

Options:
As each MR16 lamp has its own transformer using 12v 35w halogen bulbs. So each MR16/GU5.3 led bulb is 5w and the way wiring to the lamps/transformers is laid/connected in the ceiling, it would be easy enough to remove 5 of the transformers and run the 6 led's in the existing lamps on 1 transformer.

Meaning, a circuit of 6 led's then having 30w total being within the ratings of one transformer (20-60va), is that an option.

Yes/No ?

Thanks

Thanks all,

Options:
As each MR16 lamp has its own transformer using 12v 35w halogen bulbs. So each MR16/GU5.3 led bulb is 5w and the way wiring to the lamps/transformers is laid/connected in the ceiling, it would be easy enough to remove 5 of the transformers and run the 6 led's in the existing lamps on 1 transformer.

Meaning, a circuit of 6 led's then having 30w total being within the ratings of one transformer (20-60va), is that an option.

Yes/No ?

Thanks

As I have already told you they are not transformers but switched mode power supplies. If they were transformers what you are suggesting would work, as would leaving all six in place.

Those switched mode supplies are designed to supply halogen lamps and there is no guarantee they will drive LEDs. Try it. If it works OK, if not you will have to replace it with a real transformer or an LED driver.

But as has already been suggested why not use 240 volt LEDS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back