Handbrake Cables

This sounds like the same arrangement I have on my 406s, I have never had one with a good handbrake, I think the drum/shoe assembly is too small. I have heard of people who do have a good handbrake and I think its all down to the type of linings. They only work well after you have been driving in the rain then left the car standing for a while, the drums rust and give improved grip. I think you need to find some soft linings.

I suppose you don't know what make your original ones were?

I find that adjusting them up just before you take it in for MOT gets it through but doesn't last long.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Well just finished putting it all back together and doing a short road test and it stops better than ever .

Before putting the calipers back on I whipped off a drum and tried to measure it against the new ones , seems they both show 171mm so no obvious problem there, wonder if there is some pattern problem with the shoes actuating arm ..? will look into it more after the Mot.

Didn't think those Brake International parts https://brakeparts.co.uk/( a localish company) were poor quality, otherwise would not have bought them in the first place.

Normally also buy good brand names like Blueprint, First Line and Ferodo etc. - just wish Toyota would be more realistic with their parts prices, sure they would sell masses more, though they might consider its not a worthwhile operation ..?

Would be interested in any thoughts/experiences with trolley jacks .

I buy the 2 ton type Clarkes , SGS or other similar labelled ones, which all look exactly the same; generally go for the longer type that lift to 380mm.
Only use them 2 or 3 times a year, and they seem to hold up fine for about 3 years, then notice that in 30 mins or so the car is resting on the axle stands rather than the jack.

Is that kind of slow leakage typical and acceptable ?

Any suggestions of something better / longer lasting ?

Brake wise Id guess that the shoe diameter isnt exactly the same as the drum so 5e contact area is rather less. In normal use these would bed in bit in a parking brake situation Id look for contact marks on the shoes, and then sand them down and try again....
Could take a while!
As for the trolley jacks, I get similar problems but taking the sprung balls out which act as valves for a clean does help - as indeed does a change of the hydraulic oil. If the balls show any pitting, theyll never seal properly.
John :)

I don't think its the quality of the linings so much as the hardness/softness of the material that is the determining factor.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Might have been an idea to roadtest on an empty road with the new brakes and try to bed the handbrake in?.

I normally rough the inside of the hub upnand the shoes before fitting.

Same as a few post back, start to bind on 1st click and then fully on by click 3 or 4.

I service motorcyles and normally half the roadtest is spent bedding the back brake in which people rarely use it seems!.

These parking brake shoes get very little wear - the car should be stationary before yanking the brake on.
Hence the need for the shoes to be the same diameter as the drum.

1. Might have been an idea to roadtest on an empty road with the new brakes and try to bed the handbrake in?.

2.I normally rough the inside of the hub upnand the shoes before fitting.

3. Same as a few post back, start to bind on 1st click and then fully on by click 3 or 4.

1. Oh, I did for a week or more..

2. yes

3. yes

Despite all that nothing seemed to work enough to hold things properly, spent about 2-3 week trying various things !! :confused::censored: reverting to the old ones yesterday and they worked instantly..?
Not as if I'm new to this, my first cars were drum all round.

I suppose you don't know what make your original ones were?

They are the original Toyota factory rear discs/drums, lasted 12 years 110k miles but discs getting a bit too thin and ridged, hence the change prior to the mot.

As for the trolley jacks, I get similar problems but taking the sprung balls out which act as valves for a clean does help - as indeed does a change of the hydraulic oil. If the balls show any pitting, theyll never seal properly.

Right, thanks, will get some oil and give that a try before ditching it.
Assume in the sub £100 bracket they are all much the same mechanism so little to be gained by getting a slightly different one ?

I think youre right - the mechanisms are much the same and most start life in the Orient.
Machine Mart stuff has a decent warranty, and with so many branches they arent going to disappear.

My 406 had a good handbrake. I think I tweaked the adjusters up once.
I've got a Machine Mart trolley jack 2 ton 500mm lift. New in 1991, still going strong. Never been serviced, just kept clean. I've heard bad reports about SGS customer service and a friend bought a trolley jack which sank under load and they weren't helpful.

Sponsored Links
Back