Handrail diameter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can only find regs that say handrail diameter should be 40-50mm dia with a min 15 rad if its oval. I am building an alternating tread staircase which is 740mm wide and needs handrails to both sides. So the hand rails don't 'overtake' the the space and bring the open gap down below 600mm, I would like to make them out of 30mm dia tube but is this allowed? I keep seeing handrails like this and see handrail tube of this dia for sale but can't find a Domestic reg. that allows it.

Sponsored Links
Why?

So the hand rails don't 'overtake' the the space and bring the open gap down below 600mm. The stairs are handmade oak of an unsual design and I dont what a couple of handrails detracting from the look of a side lit masterpiece of modern design.

Are all the people using the handrail very small (small hands) or children?

No but they have wide hips

30mm diameter tube will feel a bit naff to an adult.

We have them all over at work and they feel fine.

I guess a call to BCO is needed.

Sponsored Links
would hardly call an alternating tread staircase a masterpiece of modern design.

cover_eyes.jpg

Argh!! my eyes!!!! :LOL:

Masterpiece of modern design! I think you mean our house wasn't big enough for a proper stair! :LOL:

Just in case anyone reads this- The regs were updated this year and handrail diameters are now 32 to 45mm. This is to reflect the fact that the 32mm (1 1/4") dia gives a stronger grip and is best used on steep stairs.

Heres a pic of what Ive made so far. Handrail still to fit.

32-45mm? :eek: I've always understood it to be 40-45mm (as per AD M) in England and Wales.

BS 8300:2009 + A1:2010.

5.10.3 Handrail dimensions and spacings (p30)

Oval profile dimensions have changed by 1mm to 50mm wide and 39mm deep (from 38mm). Circular handrail diameter has been increased to between 32mm and 50mm (formerly maximum was 45mm). Clearance between handrail and adjacent surface/wall had been reduced to between 50mm (from 60mm) and 75mm.

Note: Where a 50mm diameter circular handrail is used, a 50mm spacing from the wall allows the handrail to project no more than 100mm into the width of the stair.

The circular handrail diameter has been increased by 10mm from 40 to 50mm.

The spacing from the wall has been reduced by 10mm from 60 to 50mm.

Please let me know if my interpretation is incorrect. I have not seen the new reg, only the edited news.

Assuming this is a domestic house then none of these regs apply. As far as I am aware, within reason, you can fit whatever handrail you like.

The reviews I read said the smaller dia was for a 'power grip' on steep stairs.

I have to admit the regs were brought in for disabled access and apply more so on public access. But why do private houses have to comply with disabled regs such as switch heights?

Anyway BC didnt like it much but let me go for 32dia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back