Handyman services

Poss a DIYer who did the easier part fitting cabinets and wants someone to do the skilled bit that needs special tools.
Diyer...fitting cabinets...easier part...special tools...
I take you don't know what it's required to successfully and properly fit a kitchen.
Fitting worktops is the easiest part.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Diyer...fitting cabinets...easier part...special tools...
I take you don't know what it's required to successfully and properly fit a kitchen.
Fitting worktops is the easiest part.

Are you saying that measuring,scribing, cutting, trimming, mitreing, slotting biscuits, routing in clamps, etc, etc on a worktop is easier than adjusting some legs and screwing cabinets to a wall? Would most DIYers have the skills and equipment for the work needed to properly fit worktops?

On the rare occasions I fit my own kitchens I always get a fitter mate to bring his special skills and equipment to do the worktops to save expensive mistakes. So on that basis I do know what is required to successfully and properly fit a kitchen.

I have been called to lots of diy kitchens to fit the worktops which usually takes no longer than half a day.
Unfortunately, when you find cabinets not levelled, unsupported corners, wobbly cabinets fixed with cheap plugs in inch deep holes made with a cheap cordless and a blunt drill bit, the jobs becomes a 2 days challenge.
To fix cabinets properly, you need to put them together properly in the first place or buy ready built (more expensive).
Then you need an sds to drill into masonry or a very good cordless and a good drill bit.
Proper plugs, fitted in CLEAN holes and using proper brackets, spacers, supports in corners and appliances' gaps and so on.
All levelled up on a stretch of 3,4,5 and even 6 metres.
If you can do that, cutting some worktops is a walk in the park and you only need a router and a jig.
To me once the cabinets are in, the hard part of the job is done.
Then I could've just banged the worktops in, take the money and run, only to be called back by the tile fitters when they find an unlevelled and wobbly kitchen.
But as I am old school, I pass on that.

I think £160 a day isn't too bad, If I'm quoting for decorating work, I'd need to come in at a little less than that, if I'm fitting a kitchen, it'll be more than that.
I hate doing small jobs and rarely do unless it's a regular customer who I'll always try and help out.
I've ignored 4 messages this week, one was 'can you give me a quote to fit worktops in my new kitchen'. I didn't call back because I would have likely been rude to them. Who fitted the kitchen? get them to quote.

With a handyman type business you're going to be fannying about doing small jobs, even to hang a few pairs of blinds it's probably 3 trips to the van bringing in tools then 3 trips back out, 4 if you forget the radio. With small jobs, you'll never achieve £20 per hour because of setting up tools, travelling etc etc, there needs to be a minimum charge (maybe 45-50 for the first hour) and then £20 per hour thereafter. £160 a day is OK but too many small jobs could see you at £80 per day.

Also, your area, lots of retired people, a lot of wealth. Don't put out a pricelist as such, keep it flexible. £20 per hour is fine but if somebody from Sandbanks or Canford Cliffs phones up, stick another £5 per hour on at least, an extra £10 per hour if it's Harry Redknapp.

Other than that, go for it, it's a challenge, it can be rewarding, no two days are ever the same and if nothing else, you'll meet some very interesting people.
The bizarre thing about pricing is that some customers think you must be desperate and therefore crap at the job..You cannot win sometimes..At times it is better to turn down jobs rather than stress yourself trying to do it quick and f.in it up...Working half a day and earning a £5 is stressful!!.Be patient.

The bizarre thing about pricing is that some customers think you must be desperate and therefore crap at the job..You cannot win sometimes..At times it is better to turn down jobs rather than stress yourself trying to do it quick and f.in it up...Working half a day and earning a £5 is stressful!!.Be patient.

My very first year being self employed I earned more than I expected to, but certainly grafted for it. The second year, I earned about 15% more but didn't work as hard. As you say learning when to say no is very important.

I turn down over 50% of the work i’m asked to price, without even pricing it.
In fact I don’t even give ‘ I don’t want it prices’.
My work is of a standard that it far exceeds most environments I walk in to and I just know there’s no point even outraging them with what it’ll cost.
basically they need a bodger to mess the rest of their house up not a trade.

Sponsored Links
Back