Hanging a new door in an old frame

Sponsored Links
Assuming the hinge jamb of these post is straight and the head jamb is at right angle to this, then accuracy in measuring the opening is essential, were talking 1/2mm here. Take three measurements - top, middle and bottom, make sure you get your level with the tape and take your time to get each size spot on.
You'll need 3mm each side and the same at the top to look correct and balanced.
Once the measurements are marked on the door face, don't be surprised if these don't line up in a perfect straight line, that's normal, plane accordingly. Once the correct size is achieved, you need to take off the edge of the closing stile to ensure it clears the edge of the post when shutting. I mark the latch/lock faceplate width on the full length of the edge of the door, I cant my plane blade all the way over to the leading edge of the door (opposite side from the hinge protrusion) and plane (smoothing plane) up to the line marked on, this takes the leading edge off perfectly...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back