Hanging a door in out of square frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a 686mm door which I need to hang. Just measured the frame size and it is not entirely square it is 690mm at the top and 691mm a bit further down and then ends at 686mm at the bottom.

Shall I just take a few mm off of the entire length, I'm not entirely sure which side it is out, to be honest both sides look reasonably upright but are obviously not.

I guess that I need 2mm free space on each side so if I was to take 8mm off of the entire door this should look more or less OK right?

L

Sponsored Links
If you take 8mm off you will have a horribly large gap.
Check the jambs for plumb and straightness with a long level (1800mm).
Sounds like you only need to trim the lower edge of one side.

Offer the door to the frame and you'll see where you need to trim. Place it, adjust it to minimise any trimming, then mark up the door.

ok so what we are saying here is work out where it is larger than the doorway. I have a 1800mm level and it does look like its just a few mm out in places. When we say offer the door up I guess you mean put the door against the opening and draw a line on the inside of the door to see what is it like and trim accordingly.

Which side would the trim be on though, the hinge side or the handle side?

Sponsored Links
I have offered it up and it looks to need around 6mm off of the handle side from the bottom to about just over a third of the way up

Trimmed it all in, trimmer just arrived but I ordered the 110v version so thats going back grrr

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back