Happy St Georges Day

I keep out of the racism debates because there are indeed some very strong fascist views kicking around here which I don't agree with.

But on this particular subject, there is NOTHING wrong with being proud of your country on St Georges Day, or displaying a flag. So here's my extra large contribution:

HAPPY ST GEORGES DAY TO ALL!!!
:D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Moz said:
we had a nice fred about St Georges day ...........

then it got killed by slogger an his racist bnp rant ..lol :(

We should all be proud of our own nationalities.....an respect others too....:) :)

Exactly but kendor was the one who started that little feud by his post.....

kendor said:
The whole Nationalism angle bemuses me, what is their to be proud of?
the countries achievements in war for instance?

I truely believe the day when national flags and patriotism is ended that wars will cease too, we are all brothers and sisters in this world so why should one be tempted to segregate themselves from their brethren by classifying themselves as patrons of a particular country?

it really baffles me and i'd love someone to come out with a convincing reason why we should place ourselves in pigeon holes

Hell the way the country trest it's citizens (even judging by posts from this forum) i'm surprised that they'd still want to blow their trumpet for what after all is just a piece of rocks benefit. :LOL:

Brightness said:
You're lucky, I remember being told by a teacher at school that I was to put my nationality as British and not Welsh. I informed him that my nationality was Welsh and I would put it as such, end of.... Funnily enough he never said anything else LOL

You're nationality is British, whether you or I like it or not. It is the law. You don't get English, Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish, or for that matter Cornish, Yorkie, Scouser, Maccem, Brummy etc on your passport do you? Catalonians are Spanish, by law.

Added to this Wales is not officially a country either. I may or may not necessarily agree with this, but it is fact.

If your nationality is Welsh are you saying you should become a proper country? Are you suppressed? And then what of the Union? What's that all about?

Added to this Wales should not even be called Wales and I do not understand why especially Cymraeg people continue to do this. "Wales" and "Welsh" have racist roots.

just stimulating...

Its how you feel on a topic ....

Im white ENGLISH , an in the northwest got it known through Gordon Burns on my local BBC news when the census people were doing their scans for the form drops ...

our forms then had English on the form as an option ,whatever colour etc

but to be honest I hate much of the chav/scum who have stolen my English history ....

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
The whole Nationalism angle bemuses me, what is their to be proud of?
the countries achievements in war for instance?
No, but certainly what followed it: freedom, freedom of expression, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom to worship, our cultural heritage, the theatre and film industries, television programme making, music, sporting performance in the absence of sufficient investment, our drainage system, our water supply, the NHS (despite its tribulations), free primary health care, quality of hospitals and nursing, palliative care, investment in disease research, our treatment of animals, standards of education, a wealth of museums, parks, and national parks, areas of outstanding natural beauty, protected species, a national DNA database, the Police force, democracy, core family values, and Stephen Fry. And, last but not least, this forum.

kendor said:
I truely believe the day when national flags and patriotism is ended that wars will cease too, we are all brothers and sisters in this world so why should one be tempted to segregate themselves from their brethren by classifying themselves as patrons of a particular country?
it really baffles me and i'd love someone to come out with a convincing reason why we should place ourselves in pigeon holes
Really? It's human nature to be tribal. Nothing more complicated than that.

kendor said:
Hell the way the country trest it's citizens (even judging by posts from this forum) i'm surprised that they'd still want to blow their trumpet for what after all is just a piece of rocks benefit. :LOL:
Really? Please see above.

Maybe more people would fly the flag (St Georges Cross) if it wasn't quite so synonymous with beer swilling ignoramuses singing Rule Brittania, albeit atonally, whilst abroad watching football matches, invariably with lobster coloured skin and the flag painted on their faces. Or maybe not.

keyplayer said:
Maybe more people would fly the flag (St Georges Cross) if it wasn't quite so synonymous with beer swilling ignoramuses singing Rule Brittania, albeit atonally, whilst abroad watching football matches, invariably with lobster coloured skin and the flag painted on their faces. Or maybe not.
To be fair, i actually have to agree with that. But just because the flag is to some people synonymous with it's misuse, that does not take away its significance, its meaning, or my right as a non-hooligan Englishman to proudly display it on St. George's Day.

I was only being a good neighbour when I started this topic

There were some interesting replies which gave me a greater understanding of the differences between our reactions to our Patron Saints Days

Good luck to you in the world cup

From me in the PRINCIPALITY of Wales ( I know my place )
:D :D :D

notb665 said:
You're nationality is British, whether you or I like it or not. It is the law. You don't get English, Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish, or for that matter Cornish, Yorkie, Scouser, Maccem, Brummy etc on your passport do you?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: MY nationality is Welsh. Yours can be anything you like - I don't care! Where do you think the word nationality comes from? It comes from the word nation which, accroding to the English dictionary means; people or race belonging to a state.

The word state means; poloitically organised people. Wales has it's own National assembly and therefore like it or lump it but I am Welsh

notb665 said:
Added to this Wales is not officially a country either. I may or may not necessarily agree with this, but it is fact.

Did I say it was? I said my nationality was Welsh - see above if you don't understand :rolleyes:

notb665 said:
If your nationality is Welsh are you saying you should become a proper country? Are you suppressed? And then what of the Union? What's that all about?

The Welsh have always been suppressed but are still fighting back :rolleyes: :LOL: - Do I take it that you mean the union as displayed on the union flag? The flag on which Wales is not represented? I display below for the doubting Thomases.....

englishflag.jpg

notb665 said:
Added to this Wales should not even be called Wales and I do not understand why especially Cymraeg people continue to do this. "Wales" and "Welsh" have racist roots.

Please elaborate further.....I have encountered far more racists in England than I ever have anywhere else. When did you last hear of 'race riots' or racially motivated killings in Wales? It's not that there aren't people from other countries living there either, I was brought up in a multi cultural neighbourhood and we never even really noticed the colour of anothers skin or nationality.

[/img]

so its just england and scotland really,I mean that northern island flag is one the english forced on the irish I guess. :LOL:

All together now :-

ROOOOO BRITANYA

BRITANYA ROOOO THE WAVES

BRIIAAN NEVAH NEVAH NEVAH

SHALL BE SLAYS*

*idea nicked from a Steve Bell cartoon

Richardp said:
so its just england and scotland really,I mean that northern island flag is one the english forced on the irish I guess. :LOL:

Yup, more than likely :rolleyes: Apparently, they were trying to find a way of incorporating the 'Ddraig goch' (Welsh flag) into the union flag and being as it has a dragon in the middle, it was suggested that a dragon be put in the middle of the union flag (note all the others are one layered onto another) but the powers that be said no 'it would look like the Welsh were trying to take over the flag and be more powerful' :rolleyes: .

I mean, what is their problem & they wonder why so many Welsh people won't recognise the union flag or fly it! I know I never will until the day they decide to recognise my nation as part of the British Isles too :evil:

I wonder how many of the beer-swilling footy xenophobes, or the fascist/racist/nationalist groups who are so keen on St George, and "Englishness", and displaying the cross of St George as an emblem of their pride in being a xenophobe/fascist/racist/nationalist know much about him.

Unlike St David, who was actually Welsh, and St Patrick, who was at least born in Britain, and did go to Ireland, first as a slave, and later as a Christian missionary, St George had a (what would now be) Turkish father and a Palestinian mother, and never got closer to this country than what is now north-western Turkey.

If he came here now, Slogger would call him a fugee....

Brightness said:
Apparently, they were trying to find a way of incorporating the 'Ddraig goch' (Welsh flag) into the union flag and being as it has a dragon in the middle, it was suggested that a dragon be put in the middle of the union flag (note all the others are one layered onto another) but the powers that be said no 'it would look like the Welsh were trying to take over the flag and be more powerful' :rolleyes: .
I wonder why "they" did not consider using the cross of St David:

180px-Gb-dewi.gif

rather than the Welsh flag? That would be more in keeping with the other 3 components, and could be made to fit into the design of the Union Flag....

Sponsored Links
Back