Happy St Georges Day

toffee said:
kendor, it is all very interesting I find it fascinating trying to work out a solution that mean no more suffering for anyone and all living without fear of violence or hunger etc.

The segregation thing also interests me.
If we are not segregated by nationality, then we are segrgated by religion or race.
This segregation continues down the line to football team clubs, particular car fanciers clubs, etc etc.

Any group that can be identified by a certain criteria is segregated is it not?

Now this segregation may be voluntary... like the football supporters clubs or the Volvo car club or the Christian police group, caravan club, etc etc the lists are endless.

Or, this segregation may be enforced upon groups by for example public services who have to prove that they treat all segregated groups equally.
This is not limited to racial groups either.

At what point do you stop people people from being forcefully put into groups , sometimes supposedly for their own good.

Or, at what level do you stop people voluntarily forming an identifiable group and being proud of and displaying badges and flags.

There has been much research done on this subject Kendor.
It is not just at a national level that violence mild or lethal stems from groups.

There is research that shows that belonging to a group can have a good effect on lessening the chance of violence, aswell as adding to it.

It is a difficult topic isnt it?

If we are not going to allow people to be different and celebrate their chosen beliefs or celebrate where they live or whatever, then by default does that not mean that we have to all be the same?

Whose rules do we then live by?

I am not stating personal view in this entry.. Im simply asking views.

Is it just nationality groupings that you are against Kendor?

Would the alternate or ideal thing be that there would be no entry anywhere of where we are all born?

We would not have passports as nationality wouldnt exist and we could travel anywhere and live anywhere we liked?

Countries name would only be valid for delivering mail.

I hate violence and I dont know at what point it starts.
In simple terms I mean that there are no wars in my local villages.
There may be rivalry about issues but any misdemeanors are resolved or the courts deal with them.
Same between towns and so on... so when does it all change?

when do people suddenly think it is okay to kill?

Where does it suddenly become legal to kill? who says so?

Is it a national thing?

I dont know the answers but Im just glad I live in a country where I am relatively safe and not hungry... Im relieved and proud about that.
good points raised toffee, the bemusement of nationalists that i mentioned is of their apparent voluntary need to blow a trumpet for what to me seems an archaic beating of chests ie my gang is better than your gang attitude.
Those that come from the "i'm proud to be British" angle seem to also take great joy in slagging off the country so hence the bemusement.

you mention about living in a country where you are safe and not hungry and are relieved and proud of that, take a moment to think of those through no fault of their own are not safe and who are extremely hungry to the point of starving to death, does that make you proud to be british?

do you see the point i'm making, this country like a lot of others has stability and organisation and what should make the people of the countries proud is the ability to be able to help their brothers and sisters to live the same instead of in abject poverty not chest beating to show we are superior because we have and others havn't.

If we help to solve the problems others have then i will be the first to be proud and beat my chest not that i live in britain but that i did my bit to help others.

That's why i'm against nationalism and all it stands for as broken down into simple terms it means - some get and others don't

Sponsored Links
Brightness said:
Exactly but kendor was the one who started that little feud by his post.....

I didn't start anything i was merely stating my point of view?

notb665 said:
You're nationality is British, whether you or I like it or not. It is the law. You don't get English, Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish, or for that matter Cornish, Yorkie, Scouser, Maccem, Brummy etc on your passport do you? Catalonians are Spanish, by law.
just stimulating...
but whether the law thinks you to be british or whatever does the law also insist on you flag waving?

Softus said:
Really? It's human nature to be tribal. Nothing more complicated than that.
Are you suggesting i'm not human? :) as i don't buy into this tribal thing and feel the urge to go around in packs beating my chest. ;)

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
this country like a lot of others has stability and organisation and what should make the people of the countries proud is the ability to be able to help their brothers and sisters to live the same instead of in abject poverty not chest beating to show we are superior because we have and others havn't.

This could well be the best point I have seen made on this subject here - I am going to steal it and pretend its my own next time I'm down the pub.

(Though, of course, the people I go to the pub with don't spend their whole lives worrying about some supposed imminent takeover of Britain, so I probably won't get the chance..))

I'm sure it'd be a hoot, but may be a bit far to travel, tbh. There's a man on the bus who reads the Express - maybe I should just sit closer to him one day ;)

Sorry - Got to go to a swinging party at the dentist's. Weren't you invited ??

Sponsored Links
Back