Hardcore for greenhouse base? (Moved from Projects)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've cleared an area of garden to build a 10'x12' base for a 6'x8' greenhouse. About half of the cleared area has a reasonably level layer of brick, which was the floor of the shed that was there previously. The rest is compacted soil. I'm thinking of laying concrete slabs on a dry mix of sand and cement. Will I be able to lay the sand and cement directly onto what is there already or would I be better adding a layer of hardcore first? Either way, what depth should the sand and cement be?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
BlueGirl

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, it's really useful. Still unsure whether I need to bother using any sort of sub-base is required. I'm thinking I can maybe get away without it provided the bedding layer is a decent depth. Anyone see any issue with the fact that half the area is brick and the other is just compacted soil?
BlueGirl

Sponsored Links
I would be relatively happy to go ahead and lay straight onto the ground assuming your using a 50mm bed of 6:1 or stronger and as long as its been compacted. Personally i always prefer to throw down even an inch of hardcore as trying to compact bare soil doesnt really work, your better off trying to ram hardcore/ gravel into it with a vibrating plate to achieve compaction.

If possible try and have a joint in the paving where the base material changes as if you don't redo the whole thing you will get a little settlement in the medium-long term as the two sub-bases settle differently which may crack the paving or if not will certainly crack the joints. (mainly superficial aesthetic crack)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back